Well I just drilled my first tank....

ceige

always wet hands.....
I was very nervous but I just let the tool do the work…….about three minutes per hole….

P2240045.jpg
[/IMG]

P2240047.jpg
[/IMG]

Did you just use putty around the holes to fill with water? I'm just wondering because I get to try that soon...

It looks like he's using plumbers putty there, I use the "clay"/ putty found in the electrical section of any hardware store.
It's just to make a dam to hold water for cooling and to keep the cut flushed out.

yup I used plumbers putty to form the damm. It held the water very well and was cheap......when you do it just go slow this is one project that is not a rush....

Been thinking about trying it myself. What size hole is that? Where did you get the drill bit? Any words of advice?

Just let the tool do the work.......use water to keep the temp down

I used a bit from a guy in Hong Kong off ebay

45mm bit for a 1" HD bulkhead......cheap and quick...........

Just make sure you have the bulkheads before you get the bit just be sure to get the right size!

Last edited:
I just put 7 holes in my tank... I was also paranoid about breaking so I didn't put any pressure at all on the drill... I averaged 18 minutes per hole!!! I wish I had known it could be done faster safely because my back was killing me by the time i was done.

Back