We're expecting

Matt L.

Non-member
I just noticed that the clown fish laid their second batch of eggs in between the two BTAs.

Interestingly, the clownfish had a batch last week as well that disappeared. I am presuming they hatched under cover of darkness. As far as I can tell, they were the first eggs laid. There were not many, no more than three dozen. There are clearly more in this second batch.

These are true percula clownfish, and perhaps some time this winter, I hope to raise a batch.

clownfish_eggs_1.JPG

clownfish_eggs_2.JPG

clownfish_eggs_3.JPG

Matt:cool:

Last edited:
Very cool! I can't wait to find some eggs from one of our pairs of clown fish.

I think our male Bangaii Cardinal was holding eggs the other day but did not seem them for sure.

Cool pics.

Watch the color of the eggs to get a good guess as to when they're ready to hatch. Orange to brown to silver. When they look silver they should hatch that night or the next, starting an hour or so after the lights go out.

Ultimately, I want to provide a piece of tile or shell for them to lay on so I can remove it the night they are going to hatch, but now that they've taken to laying on rocks, I don't know. I don't even know if this is the preferred method anymore. I know some people wait for them to hatch and then catch them in the tank.

Matt:cool:

Once mind started laying eggs I started putting a tile in near their spot. It took a good couple of months, bet eventually batches did start to show up on the tile. It didn't happen quickly. (so start trying now if you want eggs on a tile in a few months :) )

At least in my tank, collecting the fry right after they hatched was far easier said than done..

Back