Wet/Dry Sump Recommendations?

GottisEgo

Non-member
Hi Guys,

Anyone point me in the direction of a Sump that everyone sticks by. I am getting ready to purchase one off Marine Depot but wanted to get some feedback before I do so.

I am currently picking up as well a Skimmer, T5 Light System and everything else in between.

Thanks for any help!

Hi, Welcome! I think that a lot of people buy the "Mega Flow" sump. I personally have the Eshopps one, and have no complaints.

Good choice on getting T-5s from the start... I started out with PC and very shortly upgraded :)

Thank you for your quick response!

Second question, I am taking an approach of Live rock, Skimmer and Sump. But have had the guys at Tropical Isle push canister filters in the mix. During my research I read many do not use them. Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

A lot of us make our own sumps out of AGA tanks. They are very easy to build with a few glass panes and some silicone. My sump cost me a whopping 40 bucks to build using a 20g high tank. Do a search here on the BRS and also check out some other ideas here

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Second question, I am taking an approach of Live rock, Skimmer and Sump. But have had the guys at Tropical Isle push canister filters in the mix. During my research I read many do not use them. Can anyone elaborate?

Thanks!

Don't take my word as gospel, because I am a newbie too, but I believe that canister filters are more for FOWLR tanks, and not reef tanks.

Last edited:
Stay away from canister filters go with the sump skimmer and maybe fug .tropical isle very expencive .Go 2 sea creatures best around

Thanks!
A canister filter is a place to house bio media and should you like a place to run carbon etc... As soon as you set up your tank with live rock you obsolete the effectiveness of the relitavly small amount of biological filtration the canister gives. Should you choose to run carbon you can set that up in you sump.
Basically leave the canisters for the Fresh water and fish only systems.

Last edited:
Back