what size heater for a 75 gallon??

stang8s

Cyber P
Tonight as i was getting some frags out of the tank i noticed the water felt warm.. I checked the temp and it was at 84 degrees and the heater light was still on!

So I pulled out the ebo heater 200w and noticed it had moisture in it..

Luckily i have my brand new visitherm stealth heater here to put in . But I notice that it is only a 100watt that I got and only rated for a 30 gallon tank..

Will this be ok or should i add a 2nd or should i put in the one they recommend which is 250w??

My tank is a 75gallon plus 10 gallon fuge and sump. Probally more like 75 gallons of water though by the time you count sand and rock. So your saying i should get the 250w like they recommend?

Lights turn off, cold house, heater has to work quick to keep temps steady, hence major power requirements on a big tank.

I always heard it was better to run two 100w then One 200w, so maybe I will just get another 100 or 150w to add with this one. Unfortanatly tonight it will have just the 100w since i have no spares left that are not broken.

I am still picking smalls pieces of the small glass heater I previously used to heat my water changes with, out of my hand...busted it last night...cord dangled, got caught under a partially open door, pulled heater out of bucket I was carrying (with still submerged hot heater).... I lunged and was rewarded with a hand full of glass splinters.

I just bought 2 more heaters though, so I'm making up for it :)

I wake up about 4 times a night, so I will check the temp and if its getting low i can just turn the lights back on. I keep the house temp at 65 so it cant get lower then that. I would think that a 100w heater can keep 75gallons in the 70s which would be fine for a night time temp

nate you didnt notice the depends i wear under my jeans?

Just always been a poor sleeper. Get up, check email, get a snack, get a drink, surf the web...

Backup plan means have (2) heaters instead of just one
I have way too many heaters...on different circuits

I have the 125g, 75g fuge, and 40g sump
I have a 350w titanium in the sump + a 150w backup set lower
I have a 350w titanium in the main tank - set lower
I have a 250w in the fuge + a 150w as a backup
Then a 500w (for the next tank)..plus another "spare"

I just seem to have collected them, but have been switching to titanium

wow thats alot of heaters dave!

I just ordered the 250w stealth. I will keep the 100w also.

So far the temp has dropped to 80 (about 4 degrees in 2.5 hours) which is about where I want it. I have this 100w set for 79. I raised the room temp a tad to 68. If it has troubles tonight and i have to turn the halides back on, then i will go find another heater local tomorrow.

I always use 2 visitherm heaters...one in the sump and one in the tank. With all the coraline on the one in the tank..it is a "stealth" one now. I use a 250 and a 300w one. The larger it is, the less times I find them always on since they heat up faster. If you are worried about burning something, you can put on a heater guard.

I don't use any heaters. Never really needed them and I heard too many stories about them breaking or staying on. However, I do keep my room at 70?, and my lights and pumps raise the tank temp another 6-10?.
I'd probably go with 2 lower watt heaters... and spend the extra $$ to buy quality ones... at least you won't lose sleep over them.

MarkO said:
I don't use any heaters. Never really needed them and I heard too many stories about them breaking or staying on. However, I do keep my room at 70?, and my lights and pumps raise the tank temp another 6-10?.
I'd probably go with 2 lower watt heaters... and spend the extra $$ to buy quality ones... at least you won't lose sleep over them.

I am the opposite, my house IS HEATED by my many tanks... LOL wish it were the other way around. I am afraid of the temp swing i would find if I unplugged the heaters and turned up the houses heat.

I have not had to turn on my heat in my Ranch since APRIL. lol

My hobby is sitting and watching the little wheel on the electric meeter spin around really fast.

Well overnite low came in at 77 degrees. Could be the 100w heater isnt keeping up, could be the setting dial is a bit off. I set it for 78-79. So looks like it will do just fine till the new 250w one comes in. Just happy i caught the other one before it cooked things. 84 and climbing!!!

i use a 2 200's and a 175.

75 g with 55 sump.

2 200's at night go alot cause the sumps in the basement. the 175 is a backup in tank. set to about 77 the 2 in the sump are set to 80 and 77 respectively.

its important to have a backup. other then that one 200 on a 75 in the main tank was enough when it wasnt in my basement, now that it is, I have to have it a little more.

Jeff,

I use two 200W in my 75 w/sump/fuge. I have one in the fuge and the second is in the chamber with the Mag7. I also have another 200W that I put into the display when I go on travel...in case the Mag7 quits and I have no warm water pumping back into the tank.

Dave

stang8s said:
nate you didnt notice the depends i wear under my jeans?

Just always been a poor sleeper. Get up, check email, get a snack, get a drink, surf the web...

Stang, why was nate looking under your jeans :0

With a 55 gallon tank I have a 250 watt heater in the main tank and a 200 watt titanium heater in the sump (small sump, maybe 8 to 10 gallons of water). One place where I have lived the heat failed while I was away for the weekend. The room temperature was about 50 degrees when I returned. The tank was in the low 70s (I think 72, this was about 8 years ago now). I hate to think what the tank temp would have been with one heater.

Back