Where to buy 18 AWG wire?

testhead1313

Here's lookin' at you
I'm looking to rewire my hood and need to find 18 AWG solid core, single strand wire to connect the ballasts to the lights. I can't seem to find it anywhere, but I may just be looking in the wrong place - I'd also love to find it in atleast 4 different colors. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Chris

Any good hardware, electric supply, or marine supply (cost more). If you can't find single conductor solid just use stranded. How is the tank comming along?

Jim

Stranded is more conductive, and also no danger of it fracturing from being flexed. You can get it at any hardware or auto store.

Must admit Nate I have never heard stranded is more conductive, is it really? I assume the cross section area for both is the same (I know I should look it up but I'm on Christmas tree duty).

Jim

Stranded is more conductive, and also no danger of it fracturing from being flexed. You can get it at any hardware or auto store.

It is actually recommended not to use stranded between the ballast and bulb if there is already solid core in place. I don't know whether to believe it or not, but supposedly the stranded can cause small arcs against the piece of solid core and eventually cause a fire. This may only be applicable with HO flourescents though.

You can use the stranded wire if you strip the end off the stranded wire, twist the strands together and solder the exposed strands.

I've read that you shouldn't tin wires that you're going to secure to a copper terminal. Not sure why it wouldn't be recommended, but there has to be a reason? Perhaps one of our resident electrical gurus can comment on this :)

FWIW, I have a couple connections that use stranded wire and I tinned them anyway. Just seems that if you don't there's more of a chance of them loosening up over time.

Steve

Back