Which RO/DI for Dorchester tap water?

ricomike

Non-member
Whenever people ask which type of RO/DI to get it seems the next reply is what is your town water like and how big is your tank. I have tried to learn about Boston water and whether it differs in which part of Boston you live in and I don't think I will ever figure it out but I figure since this is a boston reefer forum you guys might already know. Also for water volume I have a 46 gallon bowfront with CPR HOB fuge and CPR skimmer giving me a total volume of about 50 gallons and I do a 10-15 gallon water change either once a week or every other week depending on my school schedule. Somebody on here was selling a pretty nice looking BRS 75 GPD 6 stage chloramines deluxe (not sure if it's still available)... My question is are the 6 stages necessary for my water? Or is 75 GPD enough, too much, too little? I will be filling up jugs in my kitchen sink and do not have an ATO so I guess I will have to keep an eye on it so in other words despite doing some research and watching some youtube videos I still know nothing about what to buy or how I should set it up in my house for convenience. TIA, Mike.

Hi Mike,

When I lived in Southie I bought a Kent RO system. It was just three stages: pre-filter, carbon, then the RO membrane. I think it was 30 gpd - not too swift.
I looked at Boston's water specs when I lived there, and saw the tap water was decent: phosphates were low.
If I was to do it all over in Southie, I would have gotten a 5 stage RO/DI from Air Water Ice. That's what I have now. You cover all the bases and can be confident the water you're using is top quality.
The 75 gpd seems fine for your sized tank. Not much need to go higher. Save a few bucks on the RO membrane and go 75 gpd.

Thanks a bunch for the reply. One other question I have now is what you meant by save a few bucks on RO and go 75gpd. Are you implying that RO membrane lasts longer with lower GPD or higher GPD? I am assuming lower but then again what do I know?

Thanks a bunch for the reply. One other question I have now is what you meant by save a few bucks on RO and go 75gpd. Are you implying that RO membrane lasts longer with lower GPD or higher GPD? I am assuming lower but then again what do I know?

It seems to me that the cost of a membrane goes up as the GPD increases. Thus a 75 gpd membrane is cheaper than a 150 gpd membrane.
If you don't need 150 gpd, then save the $ and get a lower production membrane.

as far as setting it up, It likely needs to screw into something,
a long while ago I use to run it from an outdoor hose, which of course gets old and It froze once or twice lol

by screw into something do you mean screwing a faucet adaptor onto a faucet or do you mean actually tapping into a pipe? The former sounds good to me the latter sounds like an inevitable disaster where I would somehow flood the entire city of Boston.

lol I think either , I would go with the faucet adapter and get something like a "leak Frog" to let u know when u forgot to shut the water off

or smarter place the new water container in your sink

Back