Which would be better to grow sps echo tech radions g4 or reefbreeder phton v2 with additional led light bars attached.

Jd1993

Non-member
I have both lights just wondering which would be better to grow sps. I currently have reefbreeders photon v2 over my tank with their additional led light bars and things seem to be going well, but I bought a used tank and ends up the tank is leaking so the lights that came with it are the xr30s g4 so I'm wondering if those are better then the one year old reefbreeders with led bars on them

20221101_110356.jpg

Based on a quick look, 48” reefbreeders is around 240w whereas Radions are around 200w each. You would need 2x Radions for sufficient coverage on what looks to be a 4’ tank.

In terms of power, multiple radions will give you more light/power. The benefit of the reefbreeders is a more even light distribution vs a bit more focused with the Radions. I think either light would have a reasonable spectrum.

I’d suggest renting the club PAR meter and measuring some numbers for each setup. The ecotechs will probably have higher par numbers below the lights but could be lower near tank edges. The reefbreeders will probably have more uniform numbers but may not have sufficient par at sand bed for SPS (though probably still ok for softies and LPS. You can also generally find PAR results online to give you a ballpark idea of PAR for each light at x” depth

Last edited:
Back