Who is breeding clownfish? Looking for some advises

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
If you are currently breeding clownfish, can you please PM me if you don't mind giving me some pointers? Thanks

need lights on a cycle .................without fail ..............from moonlights to daytime on a very specific schedule .....

two good parents that lay eggs ...................than the hard part the rotifier cultures and feeding them ......a flowr pot and good water parameters

Mine laid eggs like clock work for quite a few yrs and they never had moonlights.

IIRC the whole moonlights being needed to stimulate breeding thing was created more by companies selling moonlights than by fish :)

Ya another hallmark holiday

I'm following along Dong as I want to set up some breeding tanks also

All I want is a group of cute baby clownfish, may be it is easier for me to buy 100 from someone. jk..
This is a project I want to take on for a while and now I have Phyto going and waiting to get rotofers started.

Seeing as how mine just started laying eggs again, I could always put a couple of tiles in the tank and wait. With a little luck I could bring you a clutch of eggs on hatch day to trade for a couple of frags :) It's worked before...

Seeing as how mine just started laying eggs again, I could always put a couple of tiles in the tank and wait. With a little luck I could bring you a clutch of eggs on hatch day to trade for a couple of frags :) It's worked before...

That will be great, I don't have to wait for mine to lay eggs.
Please let me know when you have the eggs. Thanks

I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Last time it was many batches of eggs before they layed one on the tile. I'll keep you posted.

My onyx pair has been together over 5 years now without any egg. I'm reluctant to take them out of the display and crank the temperature up a little to induce breeding. After vigorously reading a couple thread on clownfish breeding, I'm kind of glad I didn't do it. :)

I am also trying to breed clownfish. I bought a pair of snowflake clowns, but they never laid eggs before so who knows how long it will take.

For anyone looking, it looks like Petcos all over got a lot of clownfish and quite a few pairs. They price them individually, so you can get a nice pair for $100, instead of $200-$300 and a pair of ocillaris for $40.

It all depends on the pair,.. I have had clowns lay eggs within a year and some,.. never laid eggs. However there are things you can look for to tell if they are a potential pair or not. For example,.. if you put in two clowns and they never had a single fight,.. chances are they will not become a potential pair... its the repetitive aggressive gestures without submission that help stimulate the hormones which trigger sexual development. A pair that constantly reenforces its order is most likely to be a successful pair especially when bickering smooths out to a simple glance from the female and very quick tilt and/or quiver from the male. You can tell when they are ready to breed from their behaviors,.. The female tends to get less aggressive with the male and starts to feed more often. The male starts to become more over all aggressive and defends a the area from unwanted company. They also will stay very close to each other. Together (although most cases I see the male do it more) they will clean off (usually vertical) surface for eggs to be deposited on. You can also catch them doing practice runs,.. They will go through the same motions they do when they lay eggs but they just make the motions,.. its kind of neat. They can be in this stage for a while though,.. I actually have two pairs that have been doing that for months. However there are ways to stimulate the process. The usually like to lay the eggs in the spring because this is when their food source is usually at its peak. You can actually simulate spring over a period of a month or two by doing a few things. Very slowly and safely increasing the temp, increasing the day light hours, increasing food source (this is the time you want to make sure they are getting everything they need,.. read Joyce Wilkinson's book for great information about their diet!) and lastly,.. decrease the salinity. Why decrease the salinity? The oceans salinity slowly decrease in the spring because of snow melting. Over all the most important thing is consistency. They love to be fed at the same times everyday too. Only bad things happen fast, enjoy the ride and be aware not all pairs are compatible. Do your best to provide great water quality, good food, consistency, a host and friendly tank makes. Best of luck.

Back