Window Mounted Chiller

Matt L.

Non-member
I was always surprised that no one has yet to develop a window-mounted chiller, as what is the point of running a compressor in your living room exhausting hot air back into your living space. Two plus years ago, I picked up a used 1/3 hp AquaLogic Delta Star in-line Chiller from someone in the club who was living in Waterbury at the time. I like to refer to it as Scuba Dave's Chiller, as it was the only time I ever beat him to the punch on buying something. Anyhow, I live in a house without central air conditioning. Even if I did live in a house with central air conditioning, do I really want a 1/3 hp compressor in my living room being noisy and exhausting hot air? If I move the chiller into some other climate-controlled location, then I have to pump water all the way to the chiller and back, which leads to a pretty large hold up volume. Most of us have windows closer to our reef tanks than a location where we can run the chiller, so I said: why not invent a window-mounted chiller that runs just like a window-mounted AC? I was not about to rebuild an AquaLogic Chiller, so what I did is build a wooden housing for it to sit in the window, where it can intake air from one side and exhaust on the other. The wooden housing fits tightly, but the openings on the side match up with the openings in the chiller. I imagine that very little airflow is lost.
chiller1.jpg

chiller2.jpg

chiller3.jpg

That's a cool (pun intended) idea! I found something similar in concept the other day on RC, but it was installed at ground level, much like the outside compressor in a central AC installation.

One thing I'd worry about is water leaking into the housing (and the chiller) during rainstorms (think wind-driven rain)... or is it insulated somehow in the inside?

Nuno

Nice project Matt. That makes a lot more sense than an interior chiller, which has always seemed to me a lot like opening the refrigerator door to keep your kitchen cool (it'll actually do the opposite).

I'd add an "awning over each opening to prevent wind-driven rain from pooling in the housing. I'd also put the chiller on egg-crate or something similar, and drill drainage holes in the bottom of the housing, so that when water inevitably gets inside the case, it'll easily drain out and dry without being trapped under the chiller where it would cause rust.

Is the outside of the case caulked and painted with an exterior paint? That'll help too. What's the box made of?

Nate

mounted mine this spring in the window so that the heat escapes but the unit itself is inside the edge of the sash. Wont need to take the unit out in the winter. One of the best things I did.

This may be a dumb question (probably is) but why not just get a small AC unit and use that? Too much electricity?

SteveDola said:
This may be a dumb question (probably is) but why not just get a small AC unit and use that? Too much electricity?

It's not very efficient, as it would be cooling all the air in the room, and not the tank itself... my AC keeps the room at 72F but I still need the chiller to keep the water temp under 83F.

Nuno

nunofs said:
...One thing I'd worry about is water leaking into the housing (and the chiller) during rainstorms (think wind-driven rain)... or is it insulated somehow in the inside?
Well, first let me begin by stating that this invention was never intended to serve as a year-round installation. It was not designed to insulate the chiller from all New England seasons; just the summer months. Come fall, I will either remove the chiller from the housing and leave the housing in place, or remove both the chiller and the housing.

Second, the AquaLogic Delta Star chillers have a water-resistant cowling on them to begin with. Except for the side vents and where the bulkheads are located, the chiller is covered by a plastic housing, so even if water leaked in, chances are, it would not leak into the actual chiller.

Finally, I agree that two awnings should be placed over the sides. I had thought of this myself, but wanted to get the chiller out of the window as soon as possible. I'll build some rain shields for the sides soon.

Matt:cool:

NateHanson said:
...I'd add an "awning over each opening to prevent wind-driven rain from pooling in the housing.
Yeah, I'm going to do that as soon as I get a chance. Even in Summer, there is a chance of wind-drive rain.
NateHanson said:
...I'd also put the chiller on egg-crate or something similar, and drill drainage holes in the bottom of the housing, so that when water inevitably gets inside the case, it'll easily drain out and dry without being trapped under the chiller where it would cause rust.
I've been keeping an eye on it, and so far, there's been no water pooling inside (I can peek in). Drilling a few holes in the bottom is an excellent idea, though.
NateHanson said:
...Is the outside of the case caulked and painted with an exterior paint? That'll help too. What's the box made of?
The whole contraption is made of pine that can be found at Home Depot. That's not the longest lasting wood, but it was light, available, and should be suitable for the summer. The pine has been sealed with two coats of primer followed by two coats of exterior paint. Caulking is an excellent idea and one I had not thought of.

the way I have mine I can keep it in the basement window all year long. the unit itself is indoors away from the weather. only the hot air blows outside. I'll I have to do is take a small sheet of insulation and cover the area so there are no air leaks, letting the cold air in.

Matt L. said:
The whole contraption is made of pine that can be found at Home Depot. That's not the longest lasting wood, but it was light, available, and should be suitable for the summer. The pine has been sealed with two coats of primer followed by two coats of exterior paint.

White Pine is actually an excellent wood for exterior work. Mahogany is even better, but at half the price white pine is often a better option. I'd definitely prime and paint the inside of the case after drilling some drain holes. Water WILL get inside, and exposed wood will lead to a short-lived product.

So your chiller is acting like an exhaust fan too. It's drawing it's air supply from the room and expelling it outside the window, right?

Just a thought... Is there any way to rig it with some duct work and a small fan like a dryer so that the exhaust is vented outside but the unit remains inside?

NateHanson said:
White Pine is actually an excellent wood for exterior work....
I didn't know that. I kind of fell into this whole wood working thing when building my tank.
NateHanson said:
...Mahogany is even better, but at half the price white pine is often a better option....
Geez, Mahogony is only twice is expensive? I didn't realize. I thought it would be like ten times the cost.
NateHanson said:
...I'd definitely prime and paint the inside of the case after drilling some drain holes...
The inside (and all surfaces for that matter) are primed with two coats and painted with exterior paint (two coats), including the insides of the holes, so no pine is exposed. If I drill new holes, I'll have to prime and paint their inside surface too,

Brian said:
Just a thought... Is there any way to rig it with some duct work and a small fan like a dryer so that the exhaust is vented outside but the unit remains inside?

You could, just need to make sure there is adequate ventilation to do that. The additional fan would go a long way I suspect.

NateHanson said:
So your chiller is acting like an exhaust fan too. It's drawing it's air supply from the room and expelling it outside the window, right?
No, because of the AquaLogic Chiller Deisgn, both the intake and the outake are located outside. It would be nice if the intake were inside, but I would rather it pass fresh air, as the room that the tank is in can get warmer than the outside in summer.

NateHanson said:

you got it. whats nice is I dont have to mess with it.

a crude drawing but gives the idea.

Last edited:
Back