WTB: aprox. 30G tank and equipment

kytuong

Non-member
Hi Guys. This is my first time posting and my first time trying to setup a reef tank. I'm looking for a 30G tank (i don't have much of an option for anything larger given my apartment in boston is quite small), and any necessary equipment for it.
I'm gonna make quite a few mistakes at first so any help would be greatly appreciated. i think these are the minimal equipment that i'm gonna need. And i'm on a tight budget so the cheaper the better. thanx

i think i need:
30G tank
canopy and light (96 watts at least)
protein skimmer and filter.
Heater, thermometer, and powerhead.
What's a sump? seems like everybody is selling or buying these on the forum?
Do i need a sump?
live rock: aprox. 50lbs?
live sand?

thanx guys. if u guys gonna any used equipment thats gathering dust i would love to take it off ur hands and try at this new hobby.
please email me at [email protected]

Ky :)

Dang, lots of questions here that might get more attention in the general reef discussion area. I'm gonna move this thread over there...
Please help answer this newbie's questions folks!
Thanks.

Welcome to the reef hobby!

A sump is a container of water usually under the aquarium that is connected to the main tank. It provides extra water volume to the system and is a place to put all the equipment so you don't have to see it in the aquarium. Sumps can be anything from a smaller aquarium, a rubbermaid container, or a custom built acrylic box. I've never had a sump, but I'm getting a new system tomorrow which has one. So, I'm sure others can give you more detailed information.

My first saltwater tank was a 20 gallon high tank with 80 watts of regular flourscent lighting. I was able to grow all sorts of soft corals. I now have a 40 gallon tank with power compact lighting. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can get your feet wet without investing a huge fortune - the problem is that once you get into the hobby you are going to want bigger and better (it is an addiction for most). However, I was very happy with my 20 gallon for a few years and I've been happy with my 40 for the past two years as well. (I am getting a 72 tomorrow though!)

I may have exactly what you are looking for. I'm moving tanks around and taking some down. I will have a 30 but I've given my cousin first dibs on it. If she doesn't want it I'll let you know.

Good luck!
Sherry

Back