Aged SW or Newly mixed SW - What's really better??

Shroom King

Non-member
I know most people recommend waiting "a day" after mixing water with salt before adding it to their tank. But, what's really better?? On many an occasion I've done a water change, only because I figured I had the time at the moment, and didn't plan ahead to premix the water a night before. If I happen to have had a trash can sitting full of mixed saltwater for 2 weeks aerated with a powerhead, is it really better to use that rather than mixing and adding some new stuff immediately?? (ie. How long does "newly mixed" saltwater take to get "old" and worse to use??)

I'm not sure it matters all that much. The only thing I worry about is that EVERYTHING go into solution. My only experience is with IO, but that stuff takes several hours to get all of the material into solution using a maxijet 1200 in a 30gal trash can. If I mix it in a 5gal bucket and use my hand to mix (like I do in emergencies) then it goes in pretty fast - like 10 minutes.
Nick

Okay, I guess I'm admitting everything this week. First no RO/DI now no wait usage of saltwater. In the 20 yrs I've been doing FO and this year of reefing, I've never premixed my IO saltwater. I usually mix it and use it within 15-30min. with a powerhead. I make sure the temp is close and the SG is exacly the same. That's it.

Man, I tell you all. I really think fish are more tolerant than we all think. If some of us can breathe the LA air for years with no problems, my fish can certainly handle a 15% splash of not to temp water, freshly mixed salt 10 min, and copper/iron up the wazoo.
What I know they can't deal with is what the LA bums have to deal with. Sleeping in thier own waste.
I mix and pour mine also. I just make sure I don't see any chunks floating around, and Oceanic salt is much finer and dissolves much quicker then IO salt IMHO.
:)

I mix up about 7g with a maxijet 1200 in a clear container...make sure no salt is sitting at the bottom. When the temp is fairly close to my tank, I do a water change. Sometimes it takes 15-30 minutes, sometimes a couple hours (for the temp to get close). IO dissolves pretty well.

if I were mixing 30g with just a 1200 powerhead, maybe I would wait a bit longer, but for me with my 7g changes, I don't think I need to wait the 24hrs that people use as a rule of thumb. So I guess it all just depends...

[ one thing I do that I probably shouldn't is to add topoff water without warming it up - adding 1 gallon of 72degree water (to sump) to a 90g at 80degrees doesn't exactly change it all that much ]

Sometimes I use it right away (30-60 mins) and sometimes it sits for up to a week, no circulation. I usually do not check the temp just add the room temp water and I usually do it when the temp in my tank is a little high and it drops maybe 1/2 deg.
I only do 5G changes at a time so I am sure there is not a big impact

What about PH and akalinty that are no where as close as to what normal tank perimeters are upon initial mixing? What a damsel can take and what any coral can take are far from comparison. Plus what damage are you doing for long term health and success of your reef? What happens when the percipitant is poured into a tank and snows upon your new Zoo frags? It burns. Do you fill the bucket with RO/DI first and slowly and the salt to avoid precipitants? What about the larger containers of salt that seperate during shipping giving the possibilty of different perameters batch to batch? My advice to any hobbiest choosing not to mix salt slowly and aerate for 24hrs. should purchase the Catalina water from petco. This shoould still be aerated but at least the nutrients will be disolved. IMO

For 10-15% water changes, I let it mixing during 24 hrs, then I match specific gravity (+/- 0.02) and temperature (+/- 2?F) before the change.

I use a 33 gallon trash can and mix the salt at least a weeek in advance making sure the temp and sp are right.

10 minutes and it goes in. I use IO and have had no problems. of course I'm only changing a gallon or two at a time.

Back