Batfish at Seaworld

has any one tried calling house of fins in groton ct they have a large display tank. and tend to some very large tanks for there customers. it is just a thought i dont know much about the fish or the store it is at but it might be worth a try.

Whatever day you can do it, i'll be around. I'm 20 mins South of Boston.

Are they treating it for anything? I'd have to figure out something, because I can't treat my 300 with anything...Although I could do my 92 CB till it gets better..or worse case, spin up my 180 for a hospital tank....

So i guess the main questions are...
1. Do we think we can save it? or will the trauma of moving it around kill it.
Has whatever it has progressed for too long.

2. Need to figure out the care and treatment..

i hope its not too late. it is activley swimming at the store and i believe it is eating. i think the sores might just be from small quarters and not enough room to move. grendel let me know when you want to get it. my wife works there and i can set it up for you. also you might want to bring a rubbermaid tote to transfer it. i dont think they have anything big enough for it in the store

Ray039 said:
Sometimes it takes the masses to attract attention to a cause and sometimes it takes media attention. I find the latter works every time.

I'm sorry, but that is a very ignorant thing to say. So what your saying is that if you take this to the media, then NEAQ will take the fish to avoid being the "bad guy" in the eyes of the press? That would be a scumbag thing to do. Why would you threaten to badmouth an organization (that does good things) because they don't want to (or can't) take in a fish that some idiot couldn't take care of and dumped off on a store? NEAQ is in the business of educating people about the marine world. They are NOT in the rescue business. A more rational way of thinking would be to bring the story of the fish to the media explaining that it needs a large tank to go into. Maybe that way someone with a large tank would contact you about it.

RichConley said:
It'll have to be one obscenely large tank Valexia...these things get HUGE.

umm not to brag but some of our tanks are 1000gallon range.....
:p fish only howevah...

no promises...plus i don't even know if he'd say yes.
I will mention it to him on friday, we have a 180 holding tank i could see if he'd throw it there and then go get it...will a rubbermaid suffice? just how BIG is it?
camera phone anyone?

smcnally said:
I'm sorry, but that is a very ignorant thing to say. So what your saying is that if you take this to the media, then NEAQ will take the fish to avoid being the "bad guy" in the eyes of the press? That would be a scumbag thing to do. Why would you threaten to badmouth an organization (that does good things) because they don't want to (or can't) take in a fish that some idiot couldn't take care of and dumped off on a store? NEAQ is in the business of educating people about the marine world. They are NOT in the rescue business. A more rational way of thinking would be to bring the story of the fish to the media explaining that it needs a large tank to go into. Maybe that way someone with a large tank would contact you about it.

I think you may have misunderstood me. No one is pointing fingers or threatening at all. I just said that the media can call attention to a cause. Not to bad mouth a great institution but to let everyone know of the plight of a neglected animal.

They do it for dogs and cats and horses all the time and 9 out of 10 times someone steps up and adopts the animal.

I'll take the rap for being "ignorant" if the end result is someone rescues this animal.

Valexia said:
umm not to brag but some of our tanks are 1000gallon range.....
:p fish only howevah...

no promises...plus i don't even know if he'd say yes.
I will mention it to him on friday, we have a 180 holding tank i could see if he'd throw it there and then go get it...will a rubbermaid suffice? just how BIG is it?
camera phone anyone?

I have to go there tonight anyway. My daughter has guitar lessons at Daddy's across the street. I'll snap a pic and post.

nativemic said:
i hope its not too late. it is activley swimming at the store and i believe it is eating. i think the sores might just be from small quarters and not enough room to move. grendel let me know when you want to get it. my wife works there and i can set it up for you. also you might want to bring a rubbermaid tote to transfer it. i dont think they have anything big enough for it in the store

I can probably do it today. Do you think a 34gallon rubbermaid tote will suffice?

sw300galma are you ready for this? :)

well i just received a pm from a new member who has a 450 he said and would be willing to take it as well. i told him to post on the board. so is sw300galma does not really want this fish we might have a second option. his name is coolride

Nice Chris!! Have you told the wife that the club is making an effort to find housing for the animal so she can let SW know?

Things are starting to shape up. So far three interested parties. Even if someone can house and rehabilitate the animal and then find a suitable home that would be awesome.

i was in there today and told them not to do anything rash, that we will have someone take it very soon. they were hppy to hear that. i got a chance to take a look at the fish today a little better. apparentley some dumbass put a smaller clown trigger in the tank and it nipped up the batfish a little. as soon as marc saw it he removed the trigger. so it looks worse then it actually is. i believe if we getthe fish into a larger system there is a very good chance it will survive and hopefully thrive :)

i guess the question would be sw300galma are you taking the fish to save it and find it a bigger home or do you want to keep it?
if you are offering to house until a bigger home comes along then maybe we should wait for valexia to get an answer on one of those 1000 gallon tanks since it would be a much more suitable home.
i think everyone who is getting involved is doing a great thing here . thank you

As promised here are a couple of shots. I was at Seaworld this evening. On a different note they had some really nice looking Yellow Fiji Leathers at $39.99 pretty sweet. Anyone want to split one?

Anyway pls pardon the poor quality these were taken from my phone.

fish02.jpg

A view from his injured side. Hard to tell from these photos.

fish01.jpg

He's really quiet and really nice. Someone help!

On a sad note, Mama Kitty from Seaworld has been missing since 5/06. Very very sad event! :(

They have one of these at the rainforest cafe in Burlington, Ma...It is a nice fish I hope it does well wherever it wines up....nice job guys!

All I can offer......

If it helps, I will donate towards fuel costs for whoever has to move this fish to it's new home

hard to tell the scale in that pic but I believe you are seeing both the top and bottom of a 75g tank which would put the fish at almost 18" top of the fin to bottom when he is swimming.

its a little less. the put 2 inches of black tape on the tanks to hide the space from there drains so more like 15 inches top to bottom

Back