Bird's Nest!!

chris8903

Non-member
I was wondering if T5's are suffiecient lighting for these. Please let me know as soon as someone can. Thank you!

Most definitely. Here's mine about 10 months back.

Tree.jpg

And here it is a few weeks ago, its on the left side of the frag rack

fragrackclipneeded.jpg

it has completely exploded with growth. its a 5 bulb fixture, i have 2x 10k, 1x 420nm, 2x actinics

nice....and they eat phyto??

they eat light hehe :) actually i don't know if the birds nest green thingies are considered polyps which could mean symbiosis and possibly the need for phyto. I can't say yes or no here sorry. I've always fed my tank phyto because of my sponges and such.

Chris -

What do you have in your tank that you KNOW eats phyto?

How many t5's are we talking here? 2x T5's are not enough light. 10x might be. Placement matters, too.

Most stony corals do not eat phyto. They are carnivorous. And the vast majority of the time, the daily feeding of your fish provides an ample food source for stony corals when complemented with sufficient lighting.

my pink/purple ones are in the first 6" of my water column, and under 250W MH....and they like it there

Birdsnest will thrive under a mix of daylight and actinic on an 8 bulb system. You should be able to keep anything you want under that lighting setup.
I really see no benefit to adding phyto. IMO your just adding unessary nutrients.

Back