Brightwell code a&b

Zeefishies

BRS Member
Gm fellow reefers,
I've been dosing brightwell code a&b to maintain my calcium and alkalinity
My alkalinity is at 12 dkh
But I cannot seem to bring my calcium over 360 ppm
I've stopped dosing ( by hand lol) the b part of it to bring up the calcium and dosing 5 ml for every 25 gal.
It's a resea reefer 425xl so about 120 gal combined with the sump.
Any thoughts if I should increase the (a part )calcium dosing alone or should I start to dose the part b also?

One quick Question is where your magnesium is at, just to rule out precipitation. Double check any pumps or heater for signs of it and check your sand bed as well to make sure it’s not turning rock hard.

Magnesium helps balance alkalinity and calcium and will cause you to have trouble keeping either one in check. And When you start getting into the extreme levels of alk and or calcium you have more potential for it. Good rule of thumb for magnesium is you want it 3x your calcium level, so I keep my calcium at 440 so I strive for 1360-1400 magnesium level.

Two items that help prevent precipitation is phosphates and magnesium from my understanding as they ‘clog’ up potential surfaces of sand and rock. So if you do find forms of precipitation I’d look at those two levels.

If all that checks out I’d proceed with dosing whatever part is the calcium supplement, should say it right on the bottle, and get it to desired level. There’s a useful reef chemistry calculator online you can find via google search and use that to calculate how much will be needed to get to the desired level for the volume.

Back