brightwell aquatics lugol's solution

elton092982

MVP
BRS Member
Anyone use this to dip Zoas that might not be opening or is this mainly for bacterial infections? If so how long and how many drops do you typically use.

I’ve used and make it like tea colored mixture and dip for 10-15 mins only
How much water to drops ratio do you usually use? It seems the directions are based on a gallon and I don’t know many who actually dip there corals in a full gallon. I mainly use coral RX but came across this as an alternative and thought about trying it .

Upvote 0
How much water to drops ratio do you usually use? It seems the directions are based on a gallon and I don’t know many who actually dip there corals in a full gallon. I mainly use coral RX but came across this as an alternative and thought about trying it .
I don’t count the drops. I just bring it to a look like tea mix and dip for 10-15 mins

Attachments

• C15EFC31-BD37-40C2-B2C3-5355F8B9F616.png
    C15EFC31-BD37-40C2-B2C3-5355F8B9F616.png
    427.2 KB · Views: 121
Upvote 0
Their site says:

"EZ Calculations for a Dip: 14.4 divided by the ppm per gallon on the label = ml to add to one gallon of tank water in your bucket. If your label says the Lugol's will raise 1 US gallon of water by 12 ppm, the calculation would be: 14.4 / 12 = 1.2 ml of Lugol's. So you would add 1.2 ml or a dropperful and then 20% of another dropperful to 1 gallon of tankwater that you placed in the bucket. That would also be 1 dropperful plus 4 drops. (a dropperful is 1 ml or 20 drops). Corals may be soaked for 10 to 12 minutes. SET A TIMER!"

So that's 24 drops per gallon.

There are 16 cups per gallon.

So that works out to be 3 drops per 2 cups of tank water.

Upvote 1
Their site says:

"EZ Calculations for a Dip: 14.4 divided by the ppm per gallon on the label = ml to add to one gallon of tank water in your bucket. If your label says the Lugol's will raise 1 US gallon of water by 12 ppm, the calculation would be: 14.4 / 12 = 1.2 ml of Lugol's. So you would add 1.2 ml or a dropperful and then 20% of another dropperful to 1 gallon of tankwater that you placed in the bucket. That would also be 1 dropperful plus 4 drops. (a dropperful is 1 ml or 20 drops). Corals may be soaked for 10 to 12 minutes. SET A TIMER!"

So that's 24 drops per gallon.

There are 16 cups per gallon.

So that works out to be 3 drops per 2 cups of tank water.
Was my next step lol. Thanks

Upvote 0
I use it to dip. Just light brown. 30 minutes on iffy stuff, 15 minutes others. I also dose lugals once months AFTER I TEST.

Upvote 0
Yes. And best part is no rinse needed, iodine. Don't know how old you are, but way back in day our parents put it on cuts. It's got tremendous healing properties. And as for putting it in. I test then add a drop or two to big tank and 1 drop to baby pico. Lots of zoanthids. They love the stuff. Heed my warning.....it can be overdosed. It's powerful. Please icp your tank to see we're your at.. .biggie. then if your low, you need to read about it. Pick up iodide or iodine test so you have complete control of what's going into tank. And no it's not on doser.

Upvote 0
Thanks, I mainly was looking to use it in place of a dip . I been using Coral RX and had no issues just wanted to try something different and see if it had any added benefits .

Upvote 0
Yes. And best part is no rinse needed, iodine. Don't know how old you are, but way back in day our parents put it on cuts. It's got tremendous healing properties. And as for putting it in. I test then add a drop or two to big tank and 1 drop to baby pico. Lots of zoanthids. They love the stuff. Heed my warning.....it can be overdosed. It's powerful. Please icp your tank to see we're your at.. .biggie. then if your low, you need to read about it. Pick up iodide or iodine test so you have complete control of what's going into tank. And no it's not on doser.
recommend 1 drop per 50 gallons

Upvote 0
Back