built in overflow as a fuge?

Steve H

Formerly sch1013
can this be done and does anybody do it? it seem like a good place for one it already has light and a low flow, I was thinking of sticking some macro algae in there and adding some pods.

That was my thought as well. I would worry about the algea clogging the drain line from the tank, causing an overflow.

I've seen people put LR rubble in the overflow and grow pods, but my concern would be... if you need to work in there, it'd be a pain in the arse to get all of it out.

Dave

It works fine for me. I have a double chamber over flow. I did have a clump of algae partially block my drain as I was trimming once, but like I said, I have 1 drain and a long wide box the width of my tank, with a partition in the middle. It grows chaeto with the intensity of my halides...it grows faster than you would believe. Once the box is stuffed full, you don't have to worry about anything going anywhere...its when there is only a little bit that there is any danger, because it doesn't have enough mass to hold itself in.
I can send pics if you'd like.

I would be interested in pictures, I can see the potential of a clog but I thought it would be a slim chance. my tank is about 20" deep and I have a durso as high as it can get to the top so there is a lot of room in the bottom, maybe I will just put some rubble in there for the pods to cultivate in

Back