Calc test kit preferences?

deynon09

Mid-life Reefer
I'm running low on my Salifert test kit and want to get a different kind. I can't stand the stage 2 dropper bottle. When I tip it down, 3 or 4 drops come out on their own and I can't tell if it is a full drop etc... Annoying

So, my question is who has used the Elos or Seachem (or any other for that matter) and what are the +/- for each kit. What is your favorite kit and why. I am also pretty colorblind and have a hard time seeing the subtle color changes.

haha....

don't get an API test kit....

went on vacation to aruba over a week ago and tested right before i left...my calc was 400....

tested it last night...it was 420, i didn't add anything or have any reactors running...:rolleyes:

API is a cheap but ok test kit. They will give you a decent estimate, but in no way an precise or extremely accurate result. (especially in the alk, Ca, PO4 tests) Salifert is good, but IMO/IME they are just way too inconsistent. Personally I use Elos, and love them.

That's what I thought. I'm just going to go with the Elos, but is seachem any better/worse for the price? They're about the same. Anyone use them?

IME, elos has given more consistent results than seachem

hmmm. Good to know. I'm getting to be more of a fan of elos. I love their mag kit and the Alk is ok. Of all kits, I like the IO Alk. It has a little more leeway, but I've never really compared it one2one with the Elos. I should do that.

I just got an Elos from John yesterday on the way back from the meeting, and tested my Calc last night... I will never use a Salifert test kit again, on anything! The Elos gave a very clear indication on the color change which I, as a colorblind guy can see and it wasn't gradual that the Salifert tended to be. Actually hated the dropper #2 on the Salifert too, couldn't tell if I was getting a full drop from it or what... LOVE Elos! Although the KH seems to be a little hard for me to read.

So for anyone else that is colorblind (2/12 on the dot - number test if you know what I'm talking about) try the Elos for calc it is great!

i use both salifert and Elos. i thought the salifert was trash, until i realized it reads about the same as my elos...

that said i'd still go elos...

Yeah, though Salifert has really inaccurate droppers (#2) and I just gave up and measured 8 drops (~.5 ml I think) and used another syringe... That said, I love the Elos b/c there is no guess work.

there are a number of our sponsors who carry them....I know I've seen them (and bought them) @ CRA....

Last edited:
on the other hand though Bob... my Elos and salifert ALK kits read about 3dKH off.. the salifert reads way high, I had issues a while back when i thought my alk was about 7 dKH, and it was really 4 dKH.. so i switched to Elos ;)

Back