carbon or no carbon

MorpheusIII

Non-member
I have a 180gal. reef with fish and I'm a little baffled about if I'm suppose to be using carbon or not can anybody help me with this one. If not please advise why not and if so please let me know what the reason is for using it. thanks all....signed New jack city

I have had great success in my FOWLR and reefs with tap water and never running carbon. Some people will only use RO/DI, but I've tested my water from the tap and it's fine in my town, using it for 6 yrs now. I do have some carbon on hand though, in case of a disaster, such as a tank crash/overload or unsuspected or unaccounted for spikes such as amonnia. So far so good.

I wasn't running carbon for a while. I put it in again recently and within a day, my water was sparkling. I now have my carbon set on a timer. 2x a day, 2 hrs at a time.

I wasn't running carbon for a while. I put it in again recently and within a day, my water was sparkling. I now have my carbon set on a timer. 2x a day, 2 hrs at a time.

Carbon in moderation as Blueflu does. Since using Carbon also removes necessary suppliments.

I run carbon 24/7 im a media reactor (phosban reactor about 1/3 full on a 140) and have for about 5 years on all my tanks. Also run UV on the tank I have had for the last 2 or so years for water clarity. I like crystal clear water and is also a reason my tank has starfire glass as well.

Never thought of having my carbon/phos reactor on a timer, thanks Rob!
By the way, love the new avitar.

You won't be able to run a timer if you run GFO in a mixed carbon/phosphate reactor because the GFO will solidify if it's not tumbling 24/7 IIRC...

You won't be able to run a timer if you run GFO in a mixed carbon/phosphate reactor because the GFO will solidify if it's not tumbling 24/7 IIRC...

So are you saying I can mix the both of them?? I have a magnum 350 that I took the filter out and just use it to run Carbon Are you saying that I can mix the both of them and use it as a phosphate reactor as well?

I wouldn't mix them together like what I think you're talking about... Most reactors come with a sponge that you can put half and half in... I would be hesitant to put half and half in a cansiter filter because you really should be able to see how much the GFO is tumbling so you can adjust the flow and judge when it is clogging up and in need of replacement...

Here's a great video of what I'm talking about... (from bulk reef supply)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwfuo7OIosQ&feature=player_embedded

I would also think that if you mixed them, then the harder GFO would grind down the softer carbon into free floating dust eventually. I could be wrong but that is what I would think.

i run carbon 24 7 on my tank but its in my Aquaclear 20 hob filter my water is crystal clear... then again the tank is being filtered by a fliter thats rated for 2 times the capacity of the tank.

thanks guys for all the input but no one has yet to say if they were doing this on a fish and coral key word being CORALs which is my main concern.... signed New Jack City

thanks guys for all the input but no one has yet to say if they were doing this on a fish and coral key word being CORALs which is my main concern.... signed New Jack City
I have a mixed reef. Nearly everyone on here has a reef tank, although some might have a FOWLR in addition.

I have a mix, and have alot of problems. Just none of them related to the Carbon. Use it proudly.

Back