Chiller repair - anyone know where?

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
I have two non-functional Aqualogic chillers. Don't know what's wrong with them, but one I think might just need a heat-exchange fluid recharge as it was working last year.

Any one had any chillers repaired? Any suggestions where to go in the Boston area (preferably north of Boston)?

Look for big HVAC companies in your area and try to get in contact with their service techs.

The service tech guys that work for my company repair chillers and such at a much larger scale. If they can't do it themselves, I'm sure they know someone who can.

Sadly, the rule of thumb for a large chiller is that it often costs less to replace it. Not sure if it's the same for small guys.

Story is not over yet, but I called Aqualogic, they are still in business out in Ca. They suggested swapping out the overload ($15) and/or relay ($20). Said I could probably do it myself. Certainly worth a try for such low money.

Greg, I think most of those compressors are made by Panasonic. You could try contacting them directly if it turns out to be a compressor related issue. A new one goes for around $170 and you'd have to get it brazed onto the titanium coil and charged. Might be worth it though as a new chiller can run you a grand. Hopefully it's just a relay/overload issue though. Let us know how you make out.

I recharged a drop in for yaktop couple years back...It uses 134a...same blend as automotive freon..

i was looking into buying a new one before i fixed this and not sure when they changed but some of these chillers like the new ones sunlight supply are making do not use 134a its 425 or something like that. might not make a difference to change the refigerent to 134 as long as the seals are compatable and you remove all the old stuff

Last edited:
check for dirt /dust built up behind the fan not just in the front... once this happens the heat wont escape and will cause bad head pressure for the compressor wich will shut it down. I have used an acid product called "Renew" on Ac's to fix this problem not sure on chiller use... If you dont want to use a cleaner, carefully break it dow ith out bending the tubing and use some good pressure form a garden hoe and let it dry.
Billy

I should have mentioned that the "Renew" or any other acid base product would need to be rinsed off as well...

So I found a guy and he fixed my big one. Mostly I think it just needed a refrigerant recharge (used 134a), but he (we) needed to fiddle with it for a while. Now it's working quite well except the compressor is pretty loud (nothing the repair guy did to make it loud). This guy seems to know what he is doing and is willing to fix aquarium type chillers. He prefers to come to your location to do so. If you make use of him let him know I sent you his way.

Marc Sherman (out of Melrose)
781-662-4576
Shermann's Appliance and Refrigeration

BTW, it was WAY less expensive to have this repaired than to get a new one.

So I found a guy and he fixed my big one. Mostly I think it just needed a refrigerant recharge (used 134a), but he (we) needed to fiddle with it for a while. Now it's working quite well except the compressor is pretty loud (nothing the repair guy did to make it loud). This guy seems to know what he is doing and is willing to fix aquarium type chillers. He prefers to come to your location to do so. If you make use of him let him know I sent you his way.

781-662-4576

Greg, what ended up being the issue? Leak? relay? Compressor?

i had an issue with my chiller before everytime the compressor kicked on it would blow the fuse and shut off.......so i converted the fuse in the chiller from a ceramic fuse to a glass fuse (or it could be the other way around) and it never had problem since .......dont know if this helps but it worked for me if anyone has this issue............

If it's a refrigerant recharge that fixed your problem, you may have not actually fixed the root cause of your leak. Some refrigerant cans come with sealer additives that may work in sealing up your system. But if it's just plain old refrigerant, it may leak all out again. If the refilling port is the same as on cars, you may be able to do this yourself in the future by going to the auto parts store or even walmart and buying the cans and hose kit for around $25.

If it needs refrigerant there's a leak. If there's a leak the system is no longer sealed and there's atmosphere in it. The system on compressors is sucked to a vacuum then refrigerant is put in. Refrigeration is not making something cool but the removal of heat (energy). A recharge can get you going for the short term but if the compressor is not running at 100% efficiency the compressor will run longer to cool the same amount thus wearing it out. If there atmosphere in there it is bad for the compressor. Best to get it fixed right ASAP and have it for many more years.

So...a lot of speculation on my chiller's problem. I purchased this chiller (1/2 hp) used from a member here on the forum about 5 years ago. When I first tried it (several months after purchase [my first mistake]) it did not work. It turned on and made noise (sounded like the compressor was working), but did not really chill. I left it in place as I had a secondary, smaller chiller (1/5 hp) that was getting the job done anyhow. 4 years later the smaller chiller stopped functioning. It sounds like the problem with the smaller chiller is the compressor as it no longer 'kicks in', but I have not had that chiller looked at by anyone yet.

I purchased a new relay and overload switch? from Aqualogic for both chillers and had the parts sent to me 2-day air. Total cost including shipping was $100.

So...I took both chillers out and replaced the parts I got from Aqualogic. Not really difficult to do, but not trivial either, particularly for the large chiller. Anyhow, after changing out the parts neither chiller acted any differently. I don't think the parts were the problem(s). However, I did run the big chiller for a bit with the cover off and I could see that at least part of the chiller was indeed 'chilling down'. So, I figured there was hope, maybe just needed to be recharged.

So...I had the chiller repair guy look at the big chiller. His assessment was that it did not have any significant leaks since there was still a fair bit of pressure in the system even though it had been sitting around for several years. He fiddled with the system for a while and tried to recharge it, but it didn't seem to help too much. Finally he completely drained and 'purged?' the system and then got the proper info from Aqualogic (sometimes the time change, they are on the west coast, helps you out) as to how much refrigerant is supposed to be in the system. He added that amount and it started working pretty well. Still, as I mentioned earlier, the compressor makes a fair bit of noise.

Anyhow, I reinstalled the chiller and it's been working like a champ since then. BTW, the definition of an optimist is an aquarist that glues the chiller PVC connections in place!

I've yet to have the smaller chiller worked on. I'm fearfull that the compressor is dead.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but since it's getting hot figured some people might be looking into this problem now.

WFI, this guy is still in business (just got off the phone with him). I'm hopeful he can recharge my chiller once again as it seems to not be 'achillin' any more. Sounds like he might stop by (make a house call) for it.

781-662-4576

Back