Chiller repair?

Ptreef

BRS Member
I've got a second hand Aach50 hydrofarm chiller which started flipping my breaker today after running fine for a year. The cord stored electricity and gave me a good shock too (capacitor problem?). Any one have similar experience? Is it possible/worth repairing chillers? Should I look for a refrigerator repair center? I'll probably take it apart this weekend and see if it's something obvious but curious what you all think the next step should be. Thanks!

ChrisV

BRS Member
I've got a second hand Aach50 hydrofarm chiller which started flipping my breaker today after running fine for a year. The cord stored electricity and gave me a good shock too (capacitor problem?). Any one have similar experience? Is it possible/worth repairing chillers? Should I look for a refrigerator repair center? I'll probably take it apart this weekend and see if it's something obvious but curious what you all think the next step should be. Thanks!
I'd check with someone who repairs window ac units. I've never worked on window ac or chillers myself, but central ac capacitors are very easy to replace.

sutton6989

BRS Member
If the breaker is tripping it's usually the compressor locking up. More likely than not the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced. Probably cheaper to replace the unit.

OP
Ptreef

Ptreef

BRS Member
If the breaker is tripping it's usually the compressor locking up. More likely than not the compressor is bad and needs to be replaced. Probably cheaper to replace the unit.
It's flipping it as soon as I plug in the unit. Seems more like some sort of short.

sutton6989

BRS Member
Yeah thats a short then. I thought only when it was trying to operate. Probably a grounded board maybe? Gutta open it up and see if you can see anything obvious

OP
Ptreef

Ptreef

BRS Member
It's flipping it as soon as I plug in the unit. Seems more like some sort of short.

Yeah thats a short then. I thought only when it was trying to operate. Probably a grounded board maybe? Gutta open it up and see if you can see anything obvious
Just got to the capacitor and it reads 0 ohms. I'll try replacing that. Hopefully it's that easy.

Mike A

BRS Member
Mark Sherman at Sherman Appliance repaired my chiller a couple of years ago.
Sounds like it was a different issue than what you are experiencing.
Anyway, my chiller has to be at least 10 years old, and he worked perfectly since he worked on it.

OP
Ptreef

Ptreef

BRS Member
Mark Sherman at Sherman Appliance repaired my chiller a couple of years ago.
Sounds like it was a different issue than what you are experiencing.
Anyway, my chiller has to be at least 10 years old, and he worked perfectly since he worked on it
$10 capacitor and we're back in business. Phew. I'll look Mark up next time it breaks.
Thanks all!

OP
Ptreef

Ptreef

BRS Member
Turns out I'm an idiot and I have it on a 15 amp circuit and the pull is too much with other items I've added. Rookie mistake. I'm amazed it ran as long as it did with out flipping the breaker. Time to downsize. Anyone have a 1/10 they want to trade?

September 25, 2021

Coral Symposium

Saturday
September 25, 2021
12 to 4 PM!