Clown fish breeding Question

Puffer

Hi there,
I hope Greg, Armando or anybody who has experience in breeding clown fish can hwlp me with this.

I have a pair of mated clown fish (false perc). I noticed that they are laying eggs (yellow-orange). I wonder what do I need and how can I go about to ensure a successful breeding experience? Thanks in advance. :)

i powered mine up with lots of frozen food mixed with Selcon (sp) and it really helped, also i fed several times a day formula one and two.
The key i think to having good yield is a strong rotifer culture...and for that you need a good greenwater culture...
I started with live rotifers and cultured greenwater.
I attribute my success to practice...lol!
I really had a blast with my guys and still have some babies that live in my main tank with the parents.

Thanx for the response. Hey Armando, I wonder if you know where can I get the "fortified L-Strain rotifers" or the baby brine shrimp? Do you have some that you can sell me?

I just picked up a bag of L-Strain rotifers at Skiptons. It's a great culture and for a great price. For the phyto-plankton (to feed the rotifers), I think the best is to buy the Phyto-Feast product. Later you can try to culture your own phytoplankton but it's a bit overwhelming to culture both phyto and rotifers for starters. I personally don't think I'll ever culture phyto again, since it's quite time consuming and the PhytoFeast lasts a long time and has a reasonable price.

Can I also get the Phyto-Feast product from skipton? If not, where can I find them? Can I use the Kent or DT phytoplankton that I have?

The other thing is, if I were to get the L-Strain rotifers and the phytoplankton, how much should I dose both of them? Do you do the individual culture or the "co-culture as JHardman suggested (from the site you refered me)?

Thanx again.

You can use DT phytoplankton if you have. It's more expensive than PhytoFeast though. Skiptons (and many other stores I believe) sells PhytoFeast.

Drop only the amount of phyto in your rotifer culture until the water turns light green no more than that. If you drop too much phyto the rotifers won't consume it all and it will foul the water.

Cool! I will make a trip to skipton then.
Sorry, one more question. So, do you co-culture your rotifer with the fry, or you have a separate culture for rotifer?

Back