clown trigger

zeal

Non-member
hay guys im going to start a 125 tank and i want to get a clown trigger. dose any one have any suggestions on what i can put in with it.

Def one of the most impressive looking fish IMO but will also limit what you can keep as far as other fish, inverts & corals. Do you plan on a fish only tank? If you do get one you will most likely need to keep larger more aggressive fish with it or small really fast (and smart) fishes.

i plan on a fish only system mostly but was thinking about possibly trying a calico crab and or strawberry cabs

they will eventually become lunch for the trigger... maybe not right away, but eventually

That Clown Trigger won't take long to eat any crabs you put in there. That fish gets very large and is aggressive. The only fish that would be safe in that tank would be other large aggressive fishys.

You might want to look at something bigger then a 125G for large fish like that.....1" 8' is a heck of a lot of fish if Clown Triggers actually get that HUGE.

why clown trgger though? a 125 would make a nice reef tank, but hey its not my tank...
Not everyone wants a reef tank. I have a separate FOWLR tank for the fish that I love that are coral/invert munchers. I love that tank as much as my reef tank and sometimes more. It is a ton less work and much less finicky.

While the CT is still somewhat small (6" and under) there are many aggressive fish it will tolerate, certain Wrasses, Puffers, large Angels and more. Unfortunately as the CT grows they usually become intolerant of other tankmates. Many owners have seen them go ballistic at a certain size/age and start taking out every tankmate.

On another note, a CT will outgrow a 125.

hay i have been doing some research on the clown trigger and i think i could put a couple other triggers in with it does any one have any sugestions

I've had a few different Clown triggers over the years. Most recently I had a 12" clown trigger, a 10" Hummer trigger, a 12" Sailfin tang, an 8" dragon wrasse, a 14" snowflake eel together in a 180.
You can keep a trigger with most other aggressive fish. The downside to the clown trigger is they can be fine for years and then one day for no reason at all they can just snap and attack everything in the tank. As long as you realize any large trigger is something to take seriously you'll be fine. Watch your fingers.:D
The warning out of way, they are awesome fish. Tons of personality. Kind of like a dog is a lot of ways. They will become terrible beggars and demand attention. I'm toying with the idea of setting up a FOWLR again myself. Not sure about a clown, but I know a hummer would be in it. Hands down my favorite fish.

a large black or red lion fish will do nice, a large fox face would do fine also. a med grouper will work. a red snapper will work but the snapper will get real big real fast will out grow your tank in about a year and a half and will eat anything that will fit in his mouth. parrot fish, or a lunar wrass. undelated trigger real aggressive. the only problem i see with large aggressive fish is that you need a large tank 300 gallon or more and lots of water changes. to keep them healthy and not attacking each other. but good luck all these fish are nice and grow fast and eat a lot.

Back