Clownfish question

jtmac

Aquaholic since 1999
BRS Member
This may sound stupid to some but was wondering if I could add a new little per clown fish to a 29 gallon tank that already has one in it. I have had 2 for the past 10 years but last month one past away. I would really like to give him some company but only want another clown. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

You should be fine. Just try to add a different sized one, either smaller or bigger. This way it will be very clear as to who's the "Boss" and hopefully cut down in any fight for dominance :).

Higor

You should be fine. Just try to add a different sized one, either smaller or bigger. This way it will be very clear as to who's the "Boss" and hopefully cut down in any fight for dominance :).

This is the most important. It also goes without saying you should try to get the exact same species of clownfish if you are hoping that they will pair up together.

We just concluded a search for a juvenile percula to replace our larger, female who died a few weeks ago.

Wouldn't you want to make sure the new clown was smaller? Not sure how long it takes but only having one clown in the tank after the other died means it is a male. Since a dominant male can not turn back into a female, you would need a smaller less dominate new clown inhabitant to be te female.
Just my thoughts.

J.

Someone more knowledgeable here can confirm, but you're right you should get a smaller, juvenile clown (male) and the larger existing clown will be dominant. The now dominant male without a female present will become female and they should pair.

The females are the larger dominate fish, you should always add smaller to eliminate the fight for power lol. There may still be some but it will usually stop after a short period of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the dominant and larger fish becomes female. Getting a smaller individual will be the best route as it will be a male and stay that way in the presence of the female.

We purchased a fat/happy tank bred Percula juvenile last night (about 1" in size) from frank180reef. We slowly acclimated him and then introduced him to the tank in a Marina Breeder Net. He ate some pellet food right after acclimation, very healthy and little stress coming from a local tank to ours (and being tank raised).

We let him get used to the tank and our adult male Percula (about 1.5" in size) get used to him. After about 10 hours in the breeder net, our adult clown was swimming around the net and checking the juvenile out. We waited for about 5-6 hours after this and then released the juvenile into the tank.

They are getting along great so far, with a minimum of bullying as the adult asserts dominance (occasionally nipping at the juvenile). They are both more active and swimming around the tank together today.

This is the happiest I've seen the adult male since his mate died about a week ago (tank jumping due to my recklessness in forgetting the tank lid).

Last edited:
So I got 2 new small ones and there was no problem at all. They all get along and there has been no bullying. one has already "hooked up" with the large existing one and are best buds and the other just kinda does its own thing.

Back