Continuous Water Change?

The_Godfreys

Non-member
Read some older articles about this and was considering for my 125g.
Is anybody using it?
Pro's / Cons?
How to?

Was thinking about a dual head dosing pump. One head removing water from sump, the other replenishing. If they are well matched should cancel out. Would maintain ATO for evaporation.
I understand that this reduces the effectivness per gallon slightly but should greatly add to the stability of the tank.
Anything else I need to think about?

Thanks, Jim G.

One word Dialyseas look into it. Dosing pump would work but i would use a controller with float switches in case something went wrong. just my 2 cents.

The Dialyseas looks real interesting but well outside my budget.
I'm thinking much more simple (and cheaper)though I do have a few inputs left on my APEX that could monitor sump level to avoid catastrophy. Good idea.
I figure a dosing pump would put the water in slow enough I probably wouldn't need to pre heat it.

Only downside of those paristaltic dosing pumps is that you're going to burn through a lot of tubing pumping the kind of volume required for your application.

I have a dual head peristaltic pump I purchased for automatic water changes but decided not to use it because changing tubing every 3 months was going to be too much of a hassle for me.

What kind of pump do you have Steven? I have a couple of those cole-parmer pumps that have been running for years without wearing the tubing out. One in particular has been in nearly continious use 23/7 for 5 yrs and the tubing is still doing just fine.

Now aquamedic dosers are a whole different story :(

I was doing this with a three head pump which was tied into my ATO. I evaporate 2gals/day so that's what I was changing. The problem I ran into was my water was in the basement and it wouldn't even out overtime. I think it was from the amount of force to pull the water upstairs. I tried a check valve and still had some trouble. Doing it with it without the ATO should work fine. Randy H does it and has a article on it. When I do my tank over I am going to use it. One less thing to worry about. Good luck and keep us posted

What kind of pump do you have Steven? I have a couple of those cole-parmer pumps that have been running for years without wearing the tubing out. One in particular has been in nearly continious use 23/7 for 5 yrs and the tubing is still doing just fine.

Now aquamedic dosers are a whole different story :(

Wow. I have an old Cole Parmer as well, with brand new heads. I bought it from Greg who told me I would eat through tubing every few months, but I never actually tried it. It's just been sitting idle in my fishroom for nearly a year. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

It may depend on the size of the tubing and or the RPM of the pump, but I have yet to wear out any.

That said, I must admit that I didn't do the math before posting. At about 2 gal per day, this would be a continious operation at 6 rpm, so if anything would wear on the tubing that would be it :)

Last edited:
if you have a 180g tank with a 30g sump how many gallons do you need to change a day to make it work out?

If you mean give the same or better results as your current change schedule, how much do you currently change at once, and how often?

As as a somewhat simple rule of thumb, if you are currently doing changes of a size of around 25% (at whatever frequency), I'd suggest increasing the total change by 2% over the same time to cover the inefficiency of the continuos change. For example, if you were changing 25% every two weeks (let's call it 52.5 gallons), set up the continuous water change for 27% every two weeks (56.7 gallons), or 4 gallons a day. If you were changing around 10% every two weeks (21 gallons), set up the continuos water change for 11% (23.1 gallons), or ~1.7 gallons a day. If you do something like 50% water changes, you'll need to increase up to 53% with continuous water changes.

Here is a really old thread on the subject:

http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums/showthread.php?3554-Continuous-(automatic)-water-changes

Back