Cost Differences between 90 and 120 gal

TheBigDrewsky

BRS Member
Hello,

We recently decided to purchase a 90 gallon RR tank. Several people told us tat we should forego the 90 and go directly to the 120. We are wondering about the cost differences between the two.

Now, we know we'll pay more for the tank, stand, additional LS and LR. But moving to a 120g, will that require a different sized sump? skimmer? additional powerheads, pumps, etc.?

What does conventional wisdom say?

Thanks!

Drew

It's 30 gallons more.:p
But seriously,I can see why some hobbyest would like the extra overflow that some 120 gallons have.Anytime you add more water you're going to need to clean it,move it and heat it.JME,but I would try to stay within a budget and not skimp on filtration,lights,PHs...ect. ect.

Aside from the sand an rock you mentioned, the extra cost should be minimal.
The same lighting used on a 90 will also work on a 120. The size of the sump besides initial cost won't cost any more to run. Most of the flow should be supplied "in tank." ie power heads ,Tunzees ect. That all depends on what your willing to spend.:D Heating an extra 30 gals of water isn't really a big deal.
The biggest money IMO is going from a basement sump to an upstairs display. Larger pumps are expensive to run 24/7.
Short answer I'd go with the 120.

I would go with the 120 as well. the extra 6 inches of depth is really worth the cost of it. I upgraded from a 75 to a 5ft 120 and besides the cost of the tank stand and canopy I used everything from the 75, lighting, skimmer, pumps yada yada. In fact the only difference from the 120 to the 180 I have now is 1 extra light because it is a 6 ft tank. I also added a closed loop and I used the light and return pump that was on my 54 corner tank when I took it down, so in the end I am running less power :) (powerheads and skimmer from the 54 now not being used)

I dont think you would find anyone on this forum that would say go with the smaller tank, myself included. It will give you more room, more depth, and more options. As far as the cost, I think you could do either size for about the same amount of money and at the same quality. It all depends on where you want to invest and where you might want to try and save a little. I try to adhere to a very common rule you see on here all the time, spend the money up front and then you won't have to replace it a short time down the road because it broke or isn't suiting your needs. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend a lot, just spend sufficiently to meet what your needs require. Good luck!

Thanks to all the opinions. We'll be trying to change the order as soon as the business opens in the morning. I guess we just go through that "new tank/new hobby/new expense" jitters.... thanks again!

Ditto, I moved a 75g to a 120, and what a difference. I reused everything, except for a room issue, went from an external return to an eheihm return that I won at a recent meeting!

Back