Current USA lights

Corwyn

I am in Raynham
Any one have any experience with their lights?
I'm using their eflux controller and power heads and I'm more than happy with it on the 55g.

Thinking of switching to their 24 or 36" from my hydra26 which just doesnt cut it for the 36" tank.
https://current-usa.com/orbit-marine-ic-led/ with the controllers for my new 36" Innovation tank.

as opposed to going with a reefbreeder, which I Like very much on my other tank. But this is half the price PLUS you get the controller for the pumps.

PS the other option I was thinking about was adding 2 of these

I suggest noticing the differences in how each promotes their product. The pico right up front talks about the wattage, the current talks about the bells, whistles and sleekness. Yes current does indicate wattage in the chart but in my experience is deceptive, the wattage is the Total of the entire system,which includes the pumps. the lights are like .3watts each not 3!..this from current when I asked about their 72"loop syste.
Current USA - Support, Jun 4, 2021, 10:14 PDT:
Dear Charles,

The 270watts is the total combined maximum wattage for all components. Many hobbyists need this data to ensure their power socket is rated for the wattage or some also buy battery backup systems.

Last edited:
I ran them for a while, loved the features and control. They have a cloud cover feature that simulates cloudy to sunny that rolls from left to right which was my favorite but not much penetration into the tank. I did use them on my QT tank though and Kenya trees and leathers did very well under them so guess it depends on what you want in the tank.

I ran them for a while, loved the features and control. They have a cloud cover feature that simulates cloudy to sunny that rolls from left to right which was my favorite but not much penetration into the tank. I did use them on my QT tank though and Kenya trees and leathers did very well under them so guess it depends on what you want in the tank.
This about what my experience was. It was my first ever lighting upgrade and the feature set for the price is what made me pull the trigger. It was great looking and the cloud cover and thunderstorm simulations were awesome to look at. I had a 26 gallon bowfront which was about 21 inches high. The light rested about an inch higher than the top of the tank. It worked fine for my zoas, xenia, leathers, trumpets, acans, and rhodactis, but growth was slow (well, except for the xenia, but that'd grow fine in the dog's water dish). I actually had to move the acans higher up on my rock work because they weren't doing well on the bottom with the light penetration. The did fine in about the middle of the tank.

In a shallower LPS-dominant tank, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But I'd be hesitant to do it if I wanted to grow SPS and/or I had a deeper tank.

The answer from jfoahs04 is 100% accurate. The effects of rolling clouds in both sunny and moonlight conditions is simply stunning and I highly doubt you'll ever be sorry for buying them. They are capable of supporting most corals, but in fairness, if you want rapid growth or have anything other than a shallow tank, these might not be right for you. What they lack in watts they make up for in wow factor with great color and effects. I should also mention when my wife saw the quality and color of these lights, she asked if I could put them on a freshwater 90 gallon that's been in the living room for about 15 years. Being quick on the fly, I was able to convince her that a 155 gallon bowfront with 3- 6 foot IC loop lights was more appropriate.........lol. She fell for it anyway and the lights that paint that room now in 18 linear feet of blue LEDs is just awesome and very relaxing. Watch Saltwateraquarium.com for the best deals. They often have the 4' dual IC kit for $350 instead of $500 everyone else gets. The Loop app is good I guess, but wish it was web based like an Apex. Lots of bang for your buck, but probably not the best choice if you're focused on coral production.
I can't imagine a better fish only light though.....hypnotic to watch the effects and shadows, changed my whole idea of aquascaping. Best of luck!

thanks for all the feedback guys, As I said the the tank is a inno 30 so it it 15 deep and any lps I would keep at the top. The only high level light thing would be a BTA and that would be about 3-4" from the top.
so the only difference between the IC and IC pro is double strips? But again this tank is only 13" wide. DO I need the dual row? Part of the reason I didnt go with the reefbreeder is because it seems too much for this tank. I though the IC would be perfect.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back