December meeting date is Saturday the 11th

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
At the Sheraton Four Point in Waltham again.

This will be the elections meeting. 10-2 PM, and could go longer.

We have a speaker lined up, but I'd like to get all his bio info and details regarding his talk before I post more on it.

Just please hold the date for now.

Bump, Moe, sticky please.

I don't believe we have any plans for online voting, I suppose we could do absentee voting by snail mail, but we've never discussed it. If we were to do it I think the best way would be to have the ballots sent by snail mail to one address and then all of the envelopes opened at the meeting. We could confirm by email to each person that we received their ballot. Seems like it could work?

This doesn't provide for any nominations from the floor on the day of the meeting. I believe we have always allowed for that in the past. Has that changed?

Anybody can vote for anybody. Anybody can nominate anybody at any time. I would hope that anyone really serious about running would mention it here on the boards at least one week before the meeing.

You are right however, if someone wanted to be a surprise candidate at the last possible second, they probably wouldn't get any mail in votes. Quite frankly though, knowing people and how hard it was to get anyone to participate in the sponsors rating questioneer, I'd be surprised to see more than 5 people actually address an envelope, put a stamp on it and put it in their mail box.

The ballot that one might send in would just be a piece of paper that they hand wrote with the folks they wanted to see elected. Very simple.

Greg Hiller said:
I would hope that anyone really serious about running would mention it here on the boards at least one week before the meeing.

I agree. We need to be able to get to know the candidates and ask questions before the election. Throwing himself/herself at the last minute doesn't appear (to me) as someone really commited.

I think on E-mail its too hard to verify the person voting is the right person, and that the same person is casting multiple votes from different locations. Could get confusing

Someone also has to be able to verify that the person voting is a current member which complicates things.

Technically we could set up a web interface with an individual password previously sent to each member by email so they could vote.

But that's overkill for the number of people in the club.

But do you really think someone is going to go through the trouble of spoofing email addresses of members in order to swing this vote? I don't think so.

I'd like to see a way for people that are unable to attend this meeting to vote. I've been to the last two meetings and I'd hardly say that the number of people was a good representation of our total membership.

Why someone wouldn't be able to stop by for 5 minutes and vote? How many (%) members would fall into this category?

>I've been to the last two meetings and I'd hardly say that the number of people was a good representation of our total membership.<

Which is why we will have a speaker and an excellent location for the next set of elections to maximize the draw. The last set of elections was only for two months in office, and only for lessor positions.

Back