Decisions Decisions!!!!

grapejelly

Non-member
OK..again I am making all my choices for my tank project. I have a 150gal duel overflow tank. I am going to make sure i do my best not to skimp on anything if at all possible. i will get a killer skimmer and sump\refugium etc. I am working an experirnced reefer and he is helping me pick out the best so long as i can afford it. so here is my delema.....LIGHTS

I think I will have a mixed reef tank hard and soft and fish...

I am torn between the acuactinis 72" constallation or a custom MH setup.

I definatly want to try and be energy conscious and i like the slim look the T5s have. but will they be enough for what I want to do? Will my corals thrive?

MH will have the shimmer and i know will produce amazing light but heat will be tough in the summer months as i dont have AC in my basement, in the summer time its gets in the mid seventies down here mostly cause the dehumidifier i run produces heat.

THere are thngs I can do to make sure i keep the temp ok in the room. not so worried about that...but i am having a hard time making a decision here...MH or T5 ...or something else all together??.. ok no lie ...I have lost sleep....looking to get plenty of feedback on both options..... pros.... cons.....help me make the right choice....

thank you everyone...

GO LED lol i my self like T-5's because you can customize what your light looks like.

but im a noob. so let some other people say some stuff

bump

I would go with a combo of t5/mh or t5/led for the shimmer.Regardless of which you go with it should have fan cooling.Temp in the 70's won't be a problem with a well ventilated light.Diy or not depends on your ability,resources and TIME.

If u wanted to go MH, did u plan on it being an open top? Because if it is open u can use fans to blow across the water surface which will decrease the amount of heat transfered into the aquarium by a good amount. I too like the shimmer of my MH. If u wanted T5, individual reflectors would give u the most light output.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back