Difference in Iwaki American and Japanese motors

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
What is the difference between the American and Japanese Iwaki pump motors? Also is one quieter than the other? Are Iwaki pumps quiet?

Thanks!

Hmm...I'm looking for a quiet external pump for my 40breeder high flow closed loop. I'm quessing then neither the american or japanese would fit the bill due to noise.

The quietest pump is the discontinued Velocity T4. You might still find in some stores or a used one (i think reefnroll is selling one).

hmmm... my Iwaki 70 seems very quiet, but then again it's in the basement near the sump, which has water falling from 12' up :eek:

You must have had a broken pump there Armando because the Iwaki is the quietest pump that I have worked with (And I have had many). Also they are one of the most reliable pumps out there. I will also agree that the t-4 pump is also quiet. The T-4 is technically still being made and carried under the name Lange Pumps who was the company that was making the T-4 for CSL.

Later,

Mike

Not at all. The 40, 70 and up(if there is such thing) are very noisy. There are several other people saying this, if you do a search here and on RC you'll find it.

I'll have to disagree with Armando on the issue of Iwaki pumps (again) :). I have an Iwaki 55 and it runs quiet. I think Mike's pointing out a very possible reality that you received a defective one.

I'm talking about "living room" noise. Of course if you use in the basement it's not an issue. Compared to the T4, the iwaki is much louder.

BTW, I have not dealt with American motors, only the Japanese. Armando, which did you get?

Ok so...what about a T3 for a 40g? I figured T3 vs T4 since I am thinking about using a spray bar that will cause some back preasure.

:)

Or if you want to debate the original topic...I still don't know much about the differences.

I'm just wondering out loud here, but since I only have 3 types of pumps I would love a demonstration of the T3/T4 if anyone has one to show. I can bring my Iwaki55 and Blueline 70. Who else can/want to bring one of their extra pumps from the available, abundant varieties?

So...anyone have an opinion on whether the Velocity T3 (830gph @3ft) will be too much for my closed loop with a OM squirt on my 40 breeder?

I am still trying to figure out which pump too get, but I can't get anyone to give me an opinion whether or not this is too much flow. My only experience with pumps is with my mag7 on a scwd and you can't tell anything from that since I loose so much from the scwd. I haven't ever even run powerheads in a tank before. Please somebody help a brother out! :D

Back