Difference in Iwaki American and Japanese motors

dedfish the squirts are very new on the market, very few people are using it at the moment. i don't know anyone in the club using it right now.

If you were using a SCWD I'd say you'd be fine with 830gph for the closed loop for your 40G. But I don't know if that is true also if you choose to use the OM (probably should be fine).

Iwaki pumps are very quiet. The difference between the american & japan made pumps is power consumption. The units made in japan are more energy effecient but not any quieter. The t4 pumps are quiet because they have no fan on them for cooling which means they raise the tank temp a bit. Can be up to 2 to three degrees but it depends.

Noise is all relative to how you have your pump installed to the sump & the floor the pump lay on. If it is not perfectly level the sound will travel thru the sump from vibration. If the pump isn't perfectly level where it fastens to the sump you will get alot more added noise than you would normally get from that specific pump. So there is a little more to the madness than you may think.

dedfish, sorry to hijack your thread. I don't know much about the OM squirt. I'm thinking 830 gph is fine if you disperse the water well and not place any corals to receive the full force.

Armando, I was thinking of use WITH water. Maybe get a 5 gallon bucket of water and the appropriate fittings. Hmm...that might get messy :).

No problem...hijack away but try to help me at the same time! :D

As far as testing pumps in a bucket...I tested my mag9.5 that way and it didn't get to out of control. It moved the water in the bucket quite a bit, but as long as you don't fill it too much it won't escape the bucket. I did find that the mag was WAY too loud this way. I guess that is how this thread got started...so we are right back on track!

The velocity shouldn't even register on those meters...it supoosedly rated at 3odb.

30dB is equivalent to a whisper (making the pump literaly whisper quiet ;) )... a normal conversation is more in the range of 50 to 60dB.

Nuno

Back