do people still consider buying Metal Halight for their new setup ?

I'm really unhappy with my switch to LEDs. Here is a short list of some of the terrible things I have had to deal with:

* Using less than half as much electricity.
* Not having to deal with massive amounts of heat being put into the house and the tank.
* First two bullet points inspired me to run a longer photo period.
* Increased coral growth. (Probably related to 3rd bullet point)
* Nuisance algae receding.
* Pre-programmed dimming sequence.

That's my own first hand experience going from MH to LED over my tank. I don't know why everything has to be so absolute. Should every tank be identical? Should nobody ever rock the boat or try something new? I still love the look of MH and they are the undisputed king of reefing. But I do love my LEDs. They certainly aren't going away and will only continue to get better. The "fad" stage ended a couple of years ago. But that doesn't mean MH has to suddenly cease to exist or is inherently inferior. They are one of many options with pros and cons for different setups. I mean heck, T5 does ok too.

I run halide and LED, I have two 40 breeders side by side. I have to say that the LED I have is not bad for coral growth with 1/2 the electricity cost compare to 250w halide.
But something is missing from LED. For matter of fact, I see some coral develops different (better) color under halide.
For example, I got an elegant coral that was under LED which looked bleached and pale when it got home. Now it gains back its purple tip and neon green disc under my halide.

action-smiley-043.gif

If you have Led's you should also own a Par meter.
Haha that's a whole other discussion. Oh wait I think that discussion is over in advanced reef topics. I did the PAR meter with the halides before the switch, but haven't gotten back on the list to try it after. The main thing with LEDs is the spectrum. I think that explains the unhappy algae in my tank and also what Dong is describing. It's hard to supplement the spectrum with other emitters like red, cyan, etc because then you get into disco party territory. I should think of a creative solution and then patent it. Heh.

I have the reds with the radion and no disco ball. :) Sanjay wrote a good article recently comparing led fixtures spectrum to a halide bulb.

Back