Do You Own a MRC Protein Skimmer

Matt L.

Non-member
I was just wondering if any of you own a MRC PRotein Skimmer, and whether you are happy with it. I would be running the protein skimmer on a 90gal system. I have a MRC calcium reactor, and couldn't be more pleased with it. I would like to purchase a new skimmer for my 90gal tank, and would like to use MRC if possible,

Matt:cool:

Armando said:
Matt why not go Euro-reef?
Armando,

Why should I go with the Euroreef? Are they better than the MRC skimmers? They do cost more, and I did have good dealings with Andy, so I was just shopoing around,

Matt:cool:

what about deltec from what i hear ER warranty isn't up to par...
my friend used to run his tank with an MR2 and liked it very much,and never had to fiddle with it...

The MRC are Beckett type and they seem to take more adjustments than the Euro-Reef needle wheels. I like my reactor from Andy, but I really like our two Euro-Reefs. Plug them in and go! Check on h2otropicals.com for the blems. They go quickly when posted. That is the blems site for Euro-Reef.

I have a Euro reef and absolutely love it. Its easy to use, clean, run. I do no thave experience with other skimmers so I could not compare for you, but I am very happy with mine.

HEARSAY...from what i hear if you just so happen to destroy your needle wheel they want the old one back before you get another...

I have a MRC skimmer and think its great and andys support is always great too. As for adjustments there is 1, you set it and forget it. Its the output valve from the skimmer and it controls the height of the water in the skimmer. As long as your sump stays the same water depth which it should with your auto-topoff, there is no need to ever change this. There actually is a 2nd adjustment which is the air control for the beckett but I just have always leaved that open all the way. You do need a big pump to run the beckett and it is rather loud. Im running a mag 12 on mine. His newer design skimmers dont use the thumb screws like mine but use a collar to seperate them like the euroreef does.
mrc.jpg

stang8s said:
His newer design skimmers dont use the thumb screws like mine but use a collar to seperate them like the euroreef does.

I think you can get it either way...

matt your welcome to come checkitout if you want. Its on a 75 gallon. Gumhead always used MRC skimmers as well. Who knows he might even have one for sale??

I ran the MR2 for 2 years. It's a good skimmer there is no question. Right up until you neglect cleaning it. Looking back I'd have to admit mine probably was not running at it's peak probably 50% of the time. I've also run a bunch of Euro skimmers, 6-2, 6-3, ASM G4, and I'm now running a 12-2, a 12-3, and a 12-3+. The Euro reefs are darn good skimmers, as mentioned service can be hit or miss. The ASM I thought was flimsy. I also now have about 6 Deltecs and although I've not run one yet they are by far the best built skimmer I've seen to date.
One thing to consider is energy efficiently. Keep in mind the down drafts and Beckets get very hungry (especially when you get into the large ones)

Last edited:
hmm thats funny. Mine seems to run better when it is dirty like it is in the photo. When it is really clean it doesnt seem to run as well...The beckett itself you have to keep clean. If you stir up any crud it will get caught in the beckett and you will have to clean it. Andys old design used a sealed beckett housing that was black in color. You could not open and clean this one, you had to bang it on the sink and run water through it and try and get all the smaill snail shells and bubble algae, etc out of it.. I used to have trouble with that one getting dirty and clogged. The new clear design like on mine, can be opened up and easily cleaned. I clean it about once a month.

stang is right on about mrc skimmers i am using gumheads skimmer on my 210 sump works good i also use a bak pac skimmer on the main tank/bak pac was laying around so i put it to use i also use the bak pac for carbon handy little unit

jango said:
HEARSAY...from what i hear if you just so happen to destroy your needle wheel they want the old one back before you get another...
you can buy a complete pump form marine depot needle impeller and all.
when i have gone direct, i have never had to send a bad impeller back.

Matt,

beckets are louder and require a large pump. you'll have to clean the becket too.

ER require less watts.

Scott Merrill said:

Scott, this sounds like it would be useful for constructing a DIY skimmer. Can you tell me where to find that at MD? I looked around on their site but couldn't come up with it.

Nate

Scott Merrill said:
when i have gone direct, i have never had to send a bad impeller back.
Thanks Scott,good to know.I know there perfomance is great,i've just heard there customer service and warranty is lacking...

Back