Drain from basement to exterior

Curren007K

Non-member
My 180G display in my living room overflows into a 150G stock tank in my basement I use for my refegium and gets pumped back upstairs.
Currently I have a tee with a ball valve, hose barb and tubing I use to fill up 5G buckets to do water changes.
In my laziness I let 5G buckets of water accumlate in my basement before carrying each one out and dumping the salt water into the woods in one tiring massive haul.

I'd like to streamline this by extending the discharge hose right out through my basement into a dry well or drainage pipe with holes buried in my front yard that slopes away from my house.

However my basement is fieldstone, I cant go drilling through it.
I can drill through the sill though, but the problem I'm anticipating is the drain line now is above ground where it exits the house.

There would be a 4' vertical run from the pump and a horizontal run across the joists of my basement, exit through the sill and 90 down into the ground and slope away from the house.

The pump has plenty of power to accomplish this.

In theory after I open the valve water would pump outside and keep moving, after I close the valve the only water that may remain inside the pipe is in the interior vertical/horizontal runs.

Am I going to have any issues with freezing? I belive the Mass frost depth is 48" but if the exterior pipe is sloped can it be burried shallower?

No existing drain to plumb into? Laundry sink or washing machine drain? ... Of course if draining water change water into an actual drain is some really horrible thing to do ... I don't do that.

No existing drain to plumb into? Laundry sink or washing machine drain? ... Of course if draining water change water into an actual drain is some really horrible thing to do ... I don't do that.

When I rented a condo that's what I use to do... ;)

pdGiChz.gif

Now that I own a house I don't want salt in my spetic system.

why not just run a gravity drain and outside > easy peasy , no pump to buy or fail

I would be using an existing tap off my return line. No additional equipment needed. Can't gravity drain, I'll be fighting against gravity to get the water out of my basement.
I could run a hose from my display tank out the living room window, but that's just not pratical and I would have to run the hose everytime and start a syphon.

Last edited:
Ah...forgot about the possibility of septic system - yeah that would not sound like a good idea at all... Septic was the norm from where I was from, now it seems so quaint :)

We used to pump drain outside, but not installed - that was over gravel. Helped to keep grass from growing.

I've got no personal experience with drywells/freezing. But had a friend with one, and not sure if it had filled in or wasn't deep enough but they did have problems with freezing and it backing up. Heck it's just more digging...:)

Salt water does not affect the functionality of septic systems. Salt based water softening system put out much more sodium and calcium than you would get from normal water changes. My auto-change system changes 15 gallons a week. Waste water is piped to a drain.

Now I've got FOG on the brain... that was an interesting read. I'll pay my sewer bill with glee now. If I were you, I'd have gravel "patio" by the foundation, pipe and pump it out like you've describe kinda like a gutter downspout to get it away from the foundation. Heck in the summer - put a kiddie pool under it and you've got a salt water pond...put a few damsels in there :)

Back