Drain Pan underneath 24x24 stand tank

bayroot

Non-member
Hi -

I am getting back into the hobby after a 5 year absence! My last tank cracked in the middle of the night and leaked out all over my floor, it was a sad day. My wife is extremely concerned about this happening again especially how this tank is going in my second floor office. I feel like leaks are inevitable in this hobby so I just want to minimize the damage. I am thinking about options and one thing I thought of was a drain pan underneath the tank and tie it into my second floor laundry's drain pan pipe. Has anyone else put a drain pan underneath their tank, will it throw it off level too much? Other thoughts or options I should consider?

Please let me know!

Thanks,
B

Leveling: Depending on what you're using for a pan and also it'll have to be wider than the tank print

40-60 gallons will not be contained in a pan unless that pan is a large portion of the room. Or you put the stand in a 30x30 cube lol.

If you plumb it into the drainage to laundry it would be awesome if you need help I'm a contractor just have the footprint of pan at least an inch or more bigger because water isn't reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you plumb it into the drainage to laundry it would be awesome if you need help I'm a contractor just have the footprint of pan at least an inch or more bigger because water isn't reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure genius. Do that!

Haven't used a drain pan but I sealed my stand up when I had a display running. I ran silicone along the edges and then coated the interior with Kilz. Worked fine for minor spills and leaks but definitely wouldn't hold up against a cracked tank ;).

Back