Emperor 400 - Can I do without?

RonD2008

Non-member
I am looking into adding a T5 light retrofit that would mount to my canopy (55gal AGA), trying to figure out what might be in the way. I currenlty only have a T5 light strip with 2 bulbs, and would like to go to 4.

It looks like th Emperor 400 Bio wheel filter will be in the way, the Aqua C Remora HOB skimmer intake may be slightly in the way but not nearly as much as the Emperor.

The tank has been running for approximately 6 months, I have around 50 Lbs of live rock, and 100 lbs of live sand. Do I really need the bio wheel filter?

Thanks

Ive never had a bio wheel but Ive heard that they are not effective filters. I say loose it and maybe figure out a way to convert it into a fuge. Strong lights and you can watch the nutrient export go.

Your better off tossing the bio wheel.

Now the skimmer, you do want to keep that :)

Understood, I know I need some sort of skimmer. I'm just wondering if the HOB remora C will be enough. I'm not sure how I would run carbon without the bio wheel filter?

Your better off tossing the bio wheel.

Now the skimmer, you do want to keep that :)

Ron, I use a bak-pak skimmer on my 55 and my dad uses a remora on his 55. It should be enough if you have a normal bioload.

If it's still tight squeeze still with the remora you could cut up the reflector a little and bend it. That's what I had to do where it meets the outlet pipe. I just cut the extra little flap on the outside of the reflector. But I think you'd have more room with the remora than the bak-pak if I'm thinking right...

Thanks guys, if I need the space for the light retro I will just remove the bio wheel filter.

So you're going to get it? You def won't be disappointed!!!

I am 99.7% sure, I will then have to try to sell a 2.5 year old Emperor 400, and 3 month old Hagen Glow T5 (2 54W) light strip....

Back