End of The Fish Stocking Road / Large Angels

~Flighty~ said:
How long would it take for a majestic to get big?

By getting big I assume you mean reaching sexual maturity?

I think it depends on the size of the tank, the amount of space, the competition, frequency of the feeding, and the frequency of the water change. I heard a theory that the less water change the less likely for the fish to grow because some chemicals suppress the growth hormone.

I got a Apolemichthys Griffisi about 4 years ago. It came in about 1.5 inches with full adult coloration. The fish went through some early childhood diseases/mishap then got through it(I rather not elaborate it). Now 4 years later it's doing great but he's normal growth curve was sabotaged.

It's 4.5 inches in length in a 75 gallon soft coral tank, accompanied by a wrass. Poor fish, it should've been larger than it is now. :rolleyes:

Sorry, by "get big" I ment get too large for a 4' tank. I would guess that would be around 10" or so

~Flighty~ said:
Sorry, by "get big" I ment get too large for a 4' tank. I would guess that would be around 10" or so

I doubt a large angel can grow from a juvenile up to 10" in a 4' tank. Simply there's just not enough space for it to roam.

I've seen 10" Kole tangs in Hanauma Bay in Oahu. Have you ever seen any Kole tang larger than 5" in captivity?

Where can I find one of those Apolemichthys Kingi for sale ?? I missed out on the male watanabei that the marine center had, and am looking for a rare angel for my tank.

But a queen or imperitor would get too big for a 4'? Just asking because I'm planning the show fish for my 120

Matt, I think you'll be happy with the majestic. I love the activity, coloration and personality mine has.

Maybe Shoeib can comment on the growth of his Majestic, as he's had his longer. I've had mine a couple months, and he doesn't appear to be growing quickly. Certainly nothing like the hippo I had a while ago. That one I could really see growing. This one seems to be a much slower grower.

Nate

Marlboro said:
Where can I find one of those Apolemichthys Kingi for sale ?? I missed out on the male watanabei that the marine center had, and am looking for a rare angel for my tank.

Maybe either in Japan or in HongKong. No joke!

Most of rare angel/butterfly are collected then shipped to Far East, simply because those Japanese/Chinese are more willing to pay steeper prices for those animals. When a collector collects a few Holacanthus Limbaughi, do you think he's going to sell them to US for $1,800 each or sell them to Japan for $5,000 each?

Randy Walker of the Marine Center is only one of the customers of those so-called rarefish collectors/divers. Most rarefish collectors know one another and they have different customers/outlets, so they can trade their collections within the loop to serve their customers. I used to know one collector personally, but unfortunately I have lost touch with him. :( When I acquired Apolemichthys Griffisi from him 4 years ago, he tried to talk me out of it because he thought it wasn't rare enough. Later he offered me a pair Genicanthus Personatus for $2,500 but I didn'ty bite it.

Some on-line venders list a bunch of rare angel/butterfly on their web sites, but more than likely they don't have it. It's just for their sake of publicity. Who on earth can acquire Cheatodontoplus Ballina while it's outlawed by Australia government for collecting it? If you can't prove it by showing the fish with you in the same photo, don't even bother advertizing.

~Flighty~ said:
But a queen or imperitor would get too big for a 4'? Just asking because I'm planning the show fish for my 120

Just so you know, Large angel can be very aggressive. a 5"-6" long Emperor/Queen may be fine with a 4' long confinement. However, your little anthias, and other little friends may suffer. During the feeding time, large angel may prevent the little ones from reaching the food. After all, 4' long tank is quite a small territory for bossy Emperor/Queen angel.

Years ago I read somewhere on line about a guy's Emperor angel literally killed its 2 tankmates, gobies that is. Poor gobies just tried to grab some food but the boss didn't like it AT ALL. Seconds later, Emperor bit the tummy of one goby, then finished the other a minute later.

Think twice before you introduce the bully.

For what it's worth, my majestic is on equal footing with the percula clowns who are slightly smaller than him. He is by no means aggressive at feeding time. He'll dart after food, but if another fish is also going towards it, the angel will more often defer, regardless of who the other fish is.

NateHanson said:
He'll dart after food, but if another fish is also going towards it, the angel will more often defer, regardless of who the other fish is.

What a wimp! Your majestic angel is not so majestic after all. It gives angelfish a bad reputation. :D

I'm still leaning towards trying a red sea regal. I've read about everything there is online about them and think I will try one someday. I'll wait for a really good looking specimin that is eating well and do my best with it.

~Flighty~ said:
That's a good question Cindy. I'm curious to hear an answer.

The maximum length criteria for my centerpiece fish (if an angelfish) was 10". That was the largest size I felt I could humanely keep. Trying to be a more responsible aquarist, and not knowing when, if ever, I will upgrade my tank, I want to size the fish based on their adult or maximum size in my current tank, not what I wish I had down the road.

Fortunately, the Majestic Angel is often cited as having a maximum length of 10", so I felt I was okay, especially considering the fact that it is still much more likely than not I will upgrade to a larger tank after I graduate. If I get a bigger tank, then I can put Tangs in there and stuff and keep the majestic.

Matt:cool:

~Flighty~ said:
I'm still leaning towards trying a red sea regal. I've read about everything there is online about them and think I will try one someday. I'll wait for a really good looking specimin that is eating well and do my best with it.

Something like this:

Unfortunately, small, nice, and healthy specimen also go to Japan/Hong Kong first. :(

Attachments

• Regal.jpg
    Regal.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 322
NateHanson said:
Matt, I think you'll be happy with the majestic. I love the activity, coloration and personality mine has.
Shoeib offered me an invitation to come to Saugus and see his. I definitely want to.
NateHanson said:
Maybe Shoeib can comment on the growth of his Majestic, as he's had his longer. I've had mine a couple months, and he doesn't appear to be growing quickly. Certainly nothing like the hippo I had a while ago. That one I could really see growing. This one seems to be a much slower grower.
That's good to hear. Again, I had sized my centerpiece angelfish based on his maximum growth, and I feel that 10" is the largest a 4ft tank can hold. I still feel like I'm cutting it a little close...

However, you know how people outgrow tanks in this hobby, even when they say this is the last tank they're going to ever get. And as I say my 90gal is my last tank, who really knows.

Where did you get your Majestic, Nate?

~Flighty~ said:
I'm still leaning towards trying a red sea regal. I've read about everything there is online about them and think I will try one someday....
Oooooh, they are so pretty, I just wish I could. I'd just feel awful if I got one and it died. Doesn't Jeremy have one down at CRA?

i have a regal, koran and flame angel in my 180g---for over 2 years
they all get along (i also have 4 tangs that get along)

the koran is the largest, still has juvenile markings but it is getting large....
-they may nip at some of my clams, never seen it happen but clams aren't as open as they should be due to high traffic....and some have perished

also can't keep an open brain in the tank....as they go after it
but besides that, they are good reef citizens.....they eat everything....mostly flake

Matt L. said:
Shoeib offered me an invitation to come to Saugus and see his. I definitely want to.

Matt, Just let me know whenever you like to visit us. I live pretty close to Rt 1 in Saugus.

howman said:
i have a regal, koran and flame angel in my 180g---for over 2 years
they all get along (i also have 4 tangs that get along)

Good for you!

I, too, have the desire to add a regal angel. However, I don't think it'll survive in either my 200 or my 75, for both tanks have had very mean angels.

I, however, would like to share a little feeding story with you.

7 years ago I bought a 8" Chaetodontoplus Conspicilatus from Randy Walker of Marine Center. I spent $1,500 and got the words from Randy that Conspicilatus is generally difficult to feed in captivity, kind of like Regal angel. For the first 3 weeks it touched nothing I put into the tank. Then one day I decided to try clams(those whole clams with shell you buy from the seafood section in the Star Market), then it ate it. However it still didn't eat anything else. A month went by, I tried something different: soaked nori in the clam juice then fed the angel with the nori. It worked. After it got used to the nori, I started wrapping formula food in the nori(kind of like sushi) then tried it on the angel. It worked as well. 6 months later, it accepted anything I put into the tank. In retrospect, if the angel had had other more aggressive tankmates, it might not have made it at all. For the longest time it was the only fish in that 150 gal reef tank of mine. But I eventually lost it 3 years ago, due to my own ignorance. :(

Anyway, I personally do not believe that regal angels are as difficult to feed as people would like to make it out to be. Given properly care and environment, regal angels should be able to thrive in captivity. By saying that I mean ample space, low competition/stress, and lots of live rocks to graze upon. Lets' face it, most of the tragic stories we heard about regal angels in captivity are for those fish-only artificial environment. Has anybody ever documented the success/failure ratio for Regal angel in reef captivity? If I could keep the conspicilatus angel in reef tank for 3+ years while most of the hobbyists can only keep theirs in the artificial setting for less than 3-6 months, I think there's a good chance that Regal angels can thrive in captivity with the reef setting.

Back