Extremely unlevel. Is this safe?

Jokes

Non-member
So I just got some shims to level my tank. And it took A LOT of shims to level it. Is this safe....?? It's almost an inch off in one side. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405301543.031923.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what size tank ? and if possible try to set some post under floor where tank is distributing weight to the ground , couple 2x4's nailed together or a 4 x4 then you can drive a truck on it

what size tank ? and if possible try to set some post under floor where tank is distributing weight to the ground , couple 2x4's nailed together or a 4 x4 then you can drive a truck on it

It's a 90 gal tank

well that equates to around 1500 lbs , I'd say you want to shore your floor up asap make a sort of T brace set it in middle of joist span so that the top of the T sits across ttwo joist and jam a 2 x 4 under it hard so you have to hit it pretty good with a hammer
it should push the floor up a bit but not all the inch at once little at a time . that will hold fine

well that equates to around 1500 lbs , I'd say you want to shore your floor up asap make a sort of T brace set it in middle of joist span so that the top of the T sits across ttwo joist and jam a 2 x 4 under it hard so you have to hit it pretty good with a hammer
it should push the floor up a bit but not all the inch at once little at a time . that will hold fine

Lol thanks for the advice but I doubt I can do any below floor work. I'm renting.

ok then get some finish plywood and lay it 2 layers of 3/4 under tank go past it on sides about 1-2 feet , that will distribute the load too . and just keep shims under it

As long as the stand is touching something all the way around you are good. There can't be any part of the stand that is floating. If all sides are resting on something then the weight will distribute evenly.

If I were you I'd take all the shims out and start over, sometimes when using shims less is more. I helped a friend level his tank, when I got there his stand was looking like yours. I pulled them all out and it only needed 3

No one can state with any degree of certainty that the stand must be in contact with the floor all around without knowing how the stand is constructed. I have been woodworking for years my 90 stand contacts the floor on the four outside corners and I could put a couple more 90's on top of it.

jim

If I were you I'd take all the shims out and start over, sometimes when using shims less is more. I helped a friend level his tank, when I got there his stand was looking like yours. I pulled them all out and it only needed 3

At first I didn't think it would take too much to level the aquarium. But the direction of the tilt is going the long way on the tank. So the bubble on the level had the line basically through the middle of the bubble. I started off with 2 shims and worked my way up to 5. I only made it 6 to make the entire shim even. It seems pretty level now all around, I filled it for a leak test, and I'm going to leave it for a week or 2 and see if any problems arise.

Ok let me rephrase that.... all areas of the stand that are supposed to be touching the floor need to be touching....I can see that he has a decorative cut out in the front..... so as long as the areas of the stand that were meant to touch the floor are touching... then I would say its good

You have to look at the vertical supports to know where the stand needs to be supported.

As far as the shims you want to make sure they cannot slide. And while it may be a lot of weight you'd be surprised. As well not knowing what the construction under the skirt it is hard to say. But in a case like this I would usually make a larger support that would run front to back on the stand end and screw it together. Looks like you have used tape. And if they are plastic choose something else as it is more likely to slide.

Last edited:
From personal experience, my first tank a 55 ada gallon had to have 2-3 shims at one end.
It was fine for a year or so. Not sure if the stand moved or started to deform but I believe it caused a leak in the affected corner.

Yea I just used tape for now for the leak test and test run. See exactly what I need to do first. I'm going to drain and it and do some extra adjustments before I put sand and rock in and start to cycle it.

You have to look at the vertical supports to know where the stand needs to be supported.

As far as the shims you want to make sure they cannot slide. And while it may be a lot of weight you'd be surprised. As well not knowing what the construction under the skirt it is hard to say. But in a case like this I would usually make a larger support that would run front to back on the stand end and screw it together. Looks like you have used tape. And if they are plastic choose something else as it is more likely to slide.

Yea I noticed that when I first put some shims in one side. The stand started bowing beneath the tank and I saw a gap right in the center. I placed some shims in the center and it fixed the problem. I need go back and grab some more shims and whatever else I need to level this thing out. But I am trying to get as many points of contact as possible to the ground and stand. The stand looks like a pretty sturdy build and it's not sitting on only 4 legs, it's pretty spread out throughout the entire thing.

As long as the stand is touching something all the way around you are good. There can't be any part of the stand that is floating. If all sides are resting on something then the weight will distribute evenly.

Yea I just used tape for now for the leak test and test run. See exactly what I need to do first. I'm going to drain and it and do some extra adjustments before I put sand and rock in and start to cycle it.

If you are going to empty the tank you could just make a foot front to back and attach it directly to the stand. Anything I shim over a single shingle I attach permanently. Also If that is pergo/laminate flooring I would definitely attach it to the stand permanently. Also By doing this you could finish it to match so it looks a little more pleasing

You know that's a great suggestion. I wish I could do everything professionally. But I literally do not the have the skill or tools to really do much of any dyi.

If you are going to empty the tank you could just make a foot front to back and attach it directly to the stand. Anything I shim over a single shingle I attach permanently. Also If that is pergo/laminate flooring I would definitely attach it to the stand permanently. Also By doing this you could finish it to match so it looks a little more pleasing

Hard to tell on my phone, but those look like composite shims. If they are not, I would suggest using them. Wood will compress.

...stupid auto correct

yes those are composite. They seem pretty strong and durable so far. I think I am just going to grab more and take them where ever the wood is supposed to touch the floor.

Hard to tell on my phone, but those look like composite shims. If they are not, I would suggest using them. Wood will compress.

...stupid auto correct

if it is pergo or the like as it looks it is a floating floor that is a bigger issue than wood shim and we are not talking about a house with 20tons sitting on it. Fact is the tank will move as the seasons change and water content of the wood changes. Composite shims are not a better application especially plastic on laminate flooring. One good bump and that tank is going to be out of level by the height of those shims. As well Plywood is not going to compress like a cedar shingle. In this case building a platform to level the tank may be in your best interest as it will serve a better stronger platform and you can apply the flooring to it to blend it in.. Even if you have to pay someone a few bucks or beer and pizza to do it it would be worth your while. I do this in older homes where the floors can be out anywhere from 1/2" to 6" over 8'-15" (and yes you read that right 6")

Back