Extremely Noisy Sedra Pump on ASM Protein Skimmer

BigDora

Non-member
Sorry for all these questions. I'm finally setting up my tank. I got the ASM G1 protein skimmer which comes with the Sedra 3500 pump. It is extremely noisy. We won't be able to live with it in our living room. Does anyone else have experience with this set up and is yours noisy? You can barely hear the sloshing water over the sedra pump. It is a loud grinding/vibrating noise. I'm still doing my "wet run" with tap water at this point, so no livestock at risk yet.

Thanks.

I don't have experience with this pump but you could try putting the simmer on some filter floss to dampen the vibration. I put my mag 7 on a silicone baking mat and it works really well. Also how deep is the skimmer? You could try running it a bit deeper to lessen the noise.

it shouldn't be that noisy. I have one in my bedroom and it is not so bad. It could be vibrating against the glass or some other pieces of equipment? try to move it around and see if the noise will go away?

I have one and it's quiet compared to the other equipment in the room
Vibrating can be fixed......grinding is not good.
Have you opened it up and look at the impeller?My guess is you have a mesh mod coming undone.

still doing my "wet run" with tap water at this point, so no livestock at risk yet.

Thanks.

Not sure if i am wasting my time here or not... but when i first started i tried to run my skimmer in the sink to see how it would work out. After much frustration and a helpful reefer (thanks Rosey) i came to the conclusion you cannot skim in freshwater, especially what comes from the sink. Just a friendly heads up, if you see that its not skimming properly.

Back