Firefish Goby or a helfrichi firefish on open top tank?

Kungfukid

Non-member
hi,

I am planning to add either a Firefish Goby or a helfrichi firefish to my open top tank.
everywhere I've read, they all said that these fish are jumpers.

anyone in here have great success with these fish on your open top tank?

I was told to do research and ask questions before I go out and spend crazy money on this hobby.

thanks
kid

Everything I've read says Gobies are jumpers... and one of my new Yasha Gobies proved that last week... jumped even though I have a screen over my tank.

If you're going to chance it I'd stick with the $12 (red firefish) or $24 (purple firefish) and not the $100 helfrichi.

I have 3 red firefish, and although I have a canopy, I keep the doors open for air circulation/ventilation purposes. None of them really venture towards the top except the brave little one who goes after a stray pellet or piece of shrimp.

Also if your tank is fairly new, I wouldn't spend that much money on the helfrichi. Try a red firefish and see how it goes. I think they're actually the prettiest out of the firefish species, and they don't cost a ton.

I've also had a recent firefish (cheap one) become a carpet surfer. The opening in the top is minimal (3"x7" approx). I had him for about a year before this happened.

I don't know if it's feasible esthetically and physically but if you put a 1"-2" border around the top of the tank (kind of like most of the acrylic tanks have) that might help with the jumping. And I'd cover the tank for a while after adding the fish as it seems as they're most prone to jump when their startled and IMO/IME fish tend to be the most skiddish the first few days/weeks after being added to the tank.

And I agree with adding the red and white firefish because I also think they're the prettiest and much cheaper to get a pair at $40-$50 than a pair of the Helfrichi for $200-$250 :p

in my experience fire fish will bolt to the top and jump out when startled. it may not be right away but eventually they will land outside the tank unless you have a canopy.

when my fish get startled they always dart back to their homes. each fish in my tank has a place that they always hide in except my fire fish.... who has a summer home as well that he goes to every so often

Back