First Fish advice

Rudedog

Non-member
My tank is finally ready for the first round of fish. I also plan on putting soft corals and LPS in my tank.

I just have a question about which fish any of you have started with. Also, if you could go back in time, would you start with that particular fish again?

I have read that the blue-green chromis is a good fish to start with, but they can be territorial. Any thoughts?

Thanks

What size tank? Also I would only add one at a time with a few weeks between them. Certain fish are best added last overall so if you have a wish-list you should post it.

What size tank? Also I would only add one at a time with a few weeks between them. Certain fish are best added last overall so if you have a wish-list you should post it.

I have a 75 Gal RR tank. Some fish on my wish list are:

Clown fish
Yellow Tang and/or yellow eyed tang
Hippo
Fairy wrasse
gobies
chromis
banggai cardinals
Flame Angelfish

I plan on only adding one fish at a time, but is it OK to add the chromis in a set of 3 to start?

I'd go with the chromis first. No problem adding 3 at the same time in a 75. Bangai's next Hippo and tang last, they tend to be territorial.
I'd skip the flame angle. Hit or miss, but they often nip at LPS and can be bullies.

I'd go with the chromis first. No problem adding 3 at the same time in a 75.

I'd skip the flame angle. Hit or miss, but they often nip at LPS and can be bullies.

+1 on this advice... I've had angels nip at my corals :(

chromis are a type of damsel but they arent considered aggressive... you want to go with your timid fish first so that an agressive fish does not establish terriotry and harrass the less agressive ones as much. for example clowns will establish their territory and get agressive with other fish that are introduced and wander by innocently and get harassed

Also keep in mind the bio-load that you will be putting on your tank. Two tangs that can get pretty good sized plus all the others could be a lot for a 75 depending on your water change regularity/ Skimmer size and amount of LR.

Back