Five Years In...What the Hell is This?

Andy V

Non-member
Five years in the hobby and never seen this before. What is it? It is clear and very stringy in appearance. It doesn't seem to be originating from any coral, it's all over the tank. It literally appeared overnight. I have had brown jelly before and I am almost 100% certain this is not it. Any other thoughts? All parameters where they should be and all corals and fish look fine.

Attachments

• Tank Ick1.jpg
    Tank Ick1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 248
I think its bacterial slime, are you dosing any forms of carbon? (i.e. vodka, biopellets, ect?)

I think its bacterial slime, are you dosing any forms of carbon? (i.e. vodka, biopellets, ect?)

I certainly am. Dosing Red Sea NO POX. It's just methanol. Is this a problem? I just started dosing a week ago. Will this go away or does it mean I am dosing too much? According to the Red Sea regimen, I dosing the proper amount for my given level of nitrates and phosphates. I am dosing 2ml per day in 50 total gallons.

Did you slowly ramp it up or start with the 2ml per day? I would try cutting back a bit and then slowly try getting up to the recommended dosage. Bacterial slime is produced when too much of a carbon source is added at once.

Did you slowly ramp it up or start with the 2ml per day? I would try cutting back a bit and then slowly try getting up to the recommended dosage. Bacterial slime is produced when too much of a carbon source is added at once.

I went straight to the 2ml since the directions did not state what to do either way. Regardless, is this slime going to hurt anything? I am also concerned about a roller coaster of dosing...what would you cut the dose to? I have been at this dose for ten days now..

I don't think it will hurt corals.
My tank has it too if I dose too much vodka or Vinegar..

So is this just a product of ramping the dose too quickly and it will eventually dissipate, or does it mean the dose is simply too high? In other words, is it possible the dose is correct but the slime is because I went straight to the recommended dose, or because the dose is just too high?

From my experience, a day or two of slime won't hurt anything. Carbon dosing is tricky. You have to find the right balance to lower your nutrients without causing the bloom.

I don't know what's in the Red Sea product but I would cut your dose in half and see what happens from there. I think the dosage is too high for your tank.

Back