Gha on a few zoa/paly frags

Pat02026

Non-member
I got a two small frags (5 heads) from someone and there's what appears to be GHA growing out of them; one is a beautiful Paly that was open for the first four or five days and for the past two weeks it hasn't fully opened. It's not closed up tight, but obviously not happy. I have some seachem iodine coral dip, will a bath in this stuff help remove any nuisances growing on the frags? I have 7-8 other species of palys/zoas doing great, just hate to lose such a nice frag if I can prevent it, as well as not wanting to see this GHA spread further in my system. If the seachem dip won't take care of it is there anything else I can do to help it along? Thanks, Pat

i have recently been schooled on a 10% hydrogen peroxide with tank water dip, for about 3 minutes. i will be trying this tommorrow.

Never heard of the peroxide for dipping; does it have any adverse impact on the corals? Also will it wipe out the GHA? Or is this just a general preventative for any disease/infection

I've used it on Lps to remove hair algae from frags from an old tank worked well. All corals did fine. Hair algae died with in a week of the dip. This was straight peroxide for 30 seconds. I dipped Zoa, palys, Duncan, brain, chalice, hammer, and frogspaun with out a problem.

im not 100% sure of side affects, but my sources are coming from a reputable reefer from this site. i trust him and am going to try it. im also not to sure if its used for disease or infection? im doing it for a "quick fix" problematic algae. i AM sure this will not take care of a gha problem in a tank .to avoid confusion, if it does work, its just going to kill off algae on the specimen being dipped. not saying that it wont come back again after that.

i will fill you in on my results of this dip

As it stands there is no other HA in the tank, only on the two frags in question. I'm really just trying to do a little prevention so it does not have a source to spread from.

I dip ALL LPS and zoa frags in a 50/50 tank water/peroxide dip for 4-5 minutes. It will piss off the corals, but it wipes the HA out. The peroxide dip is part of my incoming routine.

peroxide comes in different concentrations. What concentration should we watch out for? or buy the weakest concentrations they have at the pharmacy?

this definatly WORKS, did about 20-30% mixture, peroxide and tank water in a bowl. let soak for 3-5 min while basting it to mix water around. pulled out zoa plug and placed back in tank last night, all polyps are fully opened and there is NO algae on pug at all..i also had bryopsis on the frag, which i have been fighting with high mag for about 3 weeks now!!!

Just gave it a shot, we shall see what happens. Thanks for all the input. I will update tomorrow when the palys are a little less stressed.

So it definitely killed off most of the HA, there's still some remnants left around the base of the polyps. I'll give it another day before I consider another dose. I used about 40% for <5min. One polyp is actually starting to open again after being closed up for the past few weeks. I forget what the name of it is but it has brown/red disc with a mint green mouth. I'll be really happy to see this thing come back to life. Just figured I'd share my experience with the peroxide dip. Thanks for everyone's input!

Back