got tired of algae.........

chew*

Murphy's Law
Soooo I did something about it. Took a couple of days to set it up properly ( had to much flow ) but now she's running. Was afraid of literally ripping phosphates out so I started with a very small amount of GFO. I will gradually increase the amount.

For size reference thats an AG 65 gallon stand. A tad overkill but bought it with the intention of using it on the 120g once i get off my rear and clean the basement out.

phosphate%20reactor.JPG

Gfo

Sorry for the dumb question. But what is GFO? I've seen this mentioned on other posts.

While we are on the subject of algae, is there one product better than another for removing Phosphate. I have a PhosBan Reactor sitting in a box and would like to set it up again. Or should I say set it up correctly this time.

Thanks

GFO = Granular Ferric Oxide.

I'm using rowaphos GFO atm however am ordering a rather large bucket from 2partsolutions.com

As far as I know You want something that will not leach phosphates and does not contain aluminum.

Phosban brand is synthetic ferric oxide. Not sure if thats different but i'm guessing it is.

To set it up correctly you will need a Low range phosphate meter, (hanna instruments is popular) you will want to adjust the flow so that the reading coming out of the return side of the reactor is 0ppm. You also may want to start with a small amount and gradually increse it so as to not cause a drastic drop in phosphates. Like everything else with reefs (everything in moderation)

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb question. But what is GFO? I've seen this mentioned on other posts.

While we are on the subject of algae, is there one product better than another for removing Phosphate. I have a PhosBan Reactor sitting in a box and would like to set it up again. Or should I say set it up correctly this time.

Thanks
It's not a dumb question at all. GFO stands for Grannular Ferric Oxide (hydroxide). Ferric Oxide is the chemical name for rust (Ferric being iron).

I thought Phosban was pretty much a brand name for GFO, like Mortons is for salt, but I may be wrong.

Which media you decide to use and which reactor you use it in are in essence two different questions.

Matt:cool:

Back