Hello from a former Reefer (PVH)

pvh

Non-member
It's been a few years since I left the hobby. I've been temped to come back. Any OG who can tell me what had changed since the last time I was here...at least 10 years ago. What's a nice All-in-One setup that I can look into? What's a good controller now? Is LED the norm for lighting compared to MH and T5? I'm a born again newbie. :)

Welcome back! It's a tough habit to kick. A lot depends on what you want to do with your tank. Are you an SPS fan? I do soft corals mostly so I don't eat much to get a nice tank. Best of luck

Welcome back! It's a tough habit to kick. A lot depends on what you want to do with your tank. Are you an SPS fan? I do soft corals mostly so I don't eat much to get a nice tank. Best of luck
Thanks! I like a mix tank. I was into zoas, LPS, and a few SPS.

It's been a few years since I left the hobby. I've been temped to come back. Any OG who can tell me what had changed since the last time I was here...at least 10 years ago. What's a nice All-in-One setup that I can look into? What's a good controller now? Is LED the norm for lighting compared to MH and T5? I'm a born again newbie. :)
Peter, Welcome back! I am recently back as well. Some things have changed. LED’s seem to be the norm now. I am actually going T5. Stocking up on enough lamps in case the ban thing becomes a reality. Apex still rules when it comes to controllers, although the GHL people absolutely love them as well. As far as AIO goes Waterbox, Innovative Marine, JBJ, Fiji Cube.

Reactions: pvh
Welcome back! Zero nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) is no longer the ideal. 2-20 ppm NO3 and 0.03 - 0.1 ppm PO4 shown to support most corals better
I just crawled back out of the sump after a break of about 5 years myself. Definitely some interesting developments in reefing over that time. No joke, people really do dose nitrate and phosphate now.

Otherwise, LED light, DC pumps, AIO systems, sending water out for testing, and for some reason a lot of people seem to be dosing expensive bacteria in a bottle as a regular thing(?). Oh, and BRS the online store (not us) has ingested Marine Depot and become a sort of dominant online retailer AND source of info for the reefing community at large. (Umm, an internet age thing I guess?)

Don’t do it! Don’t do it!!!

Welcome back :)

I echo others sentiments. I dove back in just prior to the pandemic. Modern LED's are definitely kickass compared to the rigs people were playing with 10 years ago. Lots of great "black box" and off-brand options are on the market, so do your research. Telegraham (social media dude) does a lot of good research into these topics.

I got into a used Apex, although it was never something I wanted to rely on. It's quite nice to be able to follow your tanks parameters remotely. I still employ redundancy to avoid disaster (secondary temp controller etc).

Cheers

Joe

Yeah some amazing gear now, from high quality LEDs to fleece rollers, automatic water change to automated (~real-time) measurement of Alk, salinity, etc for monitoring or control.

Also smart power strips are a cheap new alternative or add on for timers, or more dynamic controls via Amazon Alexa etc.

Peter, Welcome back! I am recently back as well. Some things have changed. LED’s seem to be the norm now. I am actually going T5. Stocking up on enough lamps in case the ban thing becomes a reality. Apex still rules when it comes to controllers, although the GHL people absolutely love them as well. As far as AIO goes Waterbox, Innovative Marine, JBJ, Fiji Cube.
Thanks! But I'm not back 100% yet...just looking around first. Not sure if I can invest the amount of time and energy back into this hobby or not. But I would love to have a center piece in the house again. I think I still have my T5 fixture with 8 bulbs, but they probably need to be replace. Did you say they are going to ban T5? I did take a look at the Waterbox and it looks really nice.

I just crawled back out of the sump after a break of about 5 years myself. Definitely some interesting developments in reefing over that time. No joke, people really do dose nitrate and phosphate now.

Otherwise, LED light, DC pumps, AIO systems, sending water out for testing, and for some reason a lot of people seem to be dosing expensive bacteria in a bottle as a regular thing(?). Oh, and BRS the online store (not us) has ingested Marine Depot and become a sort of dominant online retailer AND source of info for the reefing community at large. (Umm, an internet age thing I guess?)

Don’t do it! Don’t do it!!!

Welcome back :)
BRS the dominant online retailer? Good to know if I do decide on coming back! Thanks! What's a good local fish shop around the area now? Is Jay still around in NH?

I echo others sentiments. I dove back in just prior to the pandemic. Modern LED's are definitely kickass compared to the rigs people were playing with 10 years ago. Lots of great "black box" and off-brand options are on the market, so do your research. Telegraham (social media dude) does a lot of good research into these topics.

I got into a used Apex, although it was never something I wanted to rely on. It's quite nice to be able to follow your tanks parameters remotely. I still employ redundancy to avoid disaster (secondary temp controller etc).

Cheers

Joe
Are you making fun of my LED rigs I made years ago? hahaha I'm sure LED has improved a lot since. If you have any LED fixtures you would recommend I would appreciate it.

Yeah some amazing gear now, from high quality LEDs to fleece rollers, automatic water change to automated (~real-time) measurement of Alk, salinity, etc for monitoring or control.

Also smart power strips are a cheap new alternative or add on for timers, or more dynamic controls via Amazon Alexa etc.
That's awesome that you can get real time measurement of Alk, salinity, etc. I wonder if anyone started using AI to control their tank yet?

BRS the dominant online retailer? Good to know if I do decide on coming back! Thanks! What's a good local fish shop around the area now? Is Jay still around in NH?
BRS the online store. Mixed feelings here, I'm always skeptical when my product reviews and other information come from people who sell said products. Take it all with a grain of salt, just noting that once upon a time their place in the reefing community would reek of conflicts of interest at best. They do have a lot of good products, and a lot of informative videos. I worry that I see what seems to be a LOT of "blind faith" in the larger reefing community (not here necessarily), but to each their own.

Honestly I'm not sure about the latest on the LFS situation. I've visited LTR, Dong and Frank recently. I can no longer convince myself all those road trips to distant LFSs are worth it, especially since CRA is gone. Again, to each their own. I do think Jay's is still around, but I haven't been up there in years.

Which way will you go? You're posting here now... Slippery slope. Good luck whatever decisions you make.
John

On a more positive note there are now captive bred yellow tangs. But yea $$$$$

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back