Hello from Quincy

zoomen

Non-member
Hello Everyone,

I’ve posted a couple of posts recently (for sale, wanted to buy, and help needed posts), but I never had a quiet block of time to post a proper introduction of myself….So – Hello everyone, my name is Zach and I live in Quincy.

Brief fish biography for me: After I got out of the Navy and was in school in Texas, I had a 55g FOWLR that I ran for about a year before a ich breakout wiped out my tank. I sold the tank immediately after that setback. Fast forward 12 years, a move to MA, a wife, ex-wife, 2 house moves and 3 jobs later here I am.

I ran a small 20g freshwater tank for a several years during that span. I have always wanted to get back into SW and when I got an offer from a friend to take my freshwater fish off my hands I thought I’d convert that 20 gallon into a small nano-reef tank. I went out and bought all the necessary equipment and live rock from a LFS. First thing I noticed was that my tank was extremely cramped with all the rock, heater, thermometer and filter in the tank. So less than 2 weeks later I went out and bought a 60 Cube. Got that delivered and set up and within a couple of weeks started to have second thoughts about that tank when I started to realize that my aquascaping and stocking capabilities were a bit limited.

I went and requested a quote for the Marineland 150gallon DD with some customizations and while waiting for the quote to come back, I read a lot of posts and build threads of various people who have built out these deep dimension tanks. What I noticed was a lot of people who had bought a 150 or 200 gallon Deep Dimension model kept saying “I wish I did the 300” or “my next upgrade is going to be the 300”. So on the day that the quote came back for the 150, I decided to go directly to the 300 so I wouldn’t have the regrets or consternation. I finally sold my cube, so I’m going to place my order on Monday.

The tank measures 72”x36”x27, has a starphire front and dual corner overflows. I seriously debated about doing some customizations on the tank, including adding starphire to the sides and moving the corner overflows to the back panel. Here’s the problem with that – ANY modification of the tank other than their “stock build” reduces the warrantee from Lifetime to 1 year. Even changing the sides to starphire reduces their warrantee. This aggravates me to no end, because it’s not like I’m doing the modifications to the tank! Marineland apparently doesn’t trust their own builders to do any custom work, which makes me wonder about their total product, but for the price point, you get what you pay for, right?

So I’ll spend the next couple of days debating back and forth about what is more important to me the customizations or the warrantee. Right now I’m leaning towards the warrantee. I'd love to hear other's opinions on the matter.

Welcome.

Even though you were in SW before, thats quite a jump from a 20 - 300. lol. I knew when I read about the 20, that an upgrade was coming.

WelcomeBRS5.jpg

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'm seriously feeling inadequate in my non-existent reef keeping abilities right now. I'm totally reliant on boards like this and the LFS to help me wade through all of the various upcoming decisions. Do further questions/requests for advice belong on this thread or should I start a new thread on Reef Talk (or elsewhere)?

Thanks!
Zach

Welcome, I dont understand what you are trying to decide? You went from a 20 to a 300, and you dont know what to do about the sides? You obviously know what you want, now go get it. You are going to look at that tank, and say I should have do this, or should have done that. A dream tank is just that, dont make the same mistakes you did before. Go with what you want. Go luck, and keep us posted.
Derek

When wanting a totaly custom tank acrylic can be made in many diffrent configurations not to mention it wieghs less than half of glass.And a 300gal glass tank will take a crew to move.

Back