Help my skimmer is going crazy!!!

Woofwoof

Non-member
Please help I just got a new Reef Octopus NWB-150 in sump needle wheel cone skimmer and put it in my sump for my 65 AGA. From the second I plugged it in it immediately fills and overflows the cup with wet white foam. The gate valve is fully open, it's in about 7 3/4" of water (the manual says 6-10"), and the air valve is open and can't be dial back (no dial just an open hole). I don't have crazy additives in the tank just seachem reef complete, calcium, and ph buffer. The tank is new to me and has been cycling for over a month with live sand from the previous owner (a BRS member who moved all from this tank to his new tank no problems with his skimmer) Tank just has rock, pods, and a little algae. The skimmer has been running for over 24 hours and seems to be worse, not getting better. I called Coral Vue as I heard they have great customer service. The tech confirmed everything is set up right and said the previous owner must have used something that is in the sand or tank that is making the skimmer over skim (I highly doubt this) he said to to 25% water changes weekly for the next month and it should fix the skimmer. This seems a little suspect to me. Does anybody have any advice or experience with this skimmer?

http://www.marinedepot.com/Reef_Oct...ariums_Reefs-Reef_Octopus-CV5111-FIPS-vi.html

Maybe try to raise it up a bit on some egg crate? You may want to run the skimmer in a holding tank with some vinegar to clean it out if you cant figure it out. Or maybe just see if it stops after going through a few cups full of watery skim, and do a small water change that way

1+ to running the skimmer in a vinegar bath
It will rinse off the new acrylic of all the oils

They do need some time to break in, I have the same skimmer and it overflowed quite a bit the first week and made alot of micro bubbles. It quieted down after that and worked very well. probably best to check the air line to make sure its not blocked or the front of the pump (intake part) isn't blocked either(like pressed against the wall of your sump). Also make sure the water exiting your skimmer is just above the water line.

Back