How to build a simple and safe auto top off system?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Anyone has a simple yet safe auto top off system?

I think he meant one that doesn't cost more than the GNP of most small countries......

I got the.....uhhhh.....mmmmm. dammmit If I had been up straight the past 2 days I'd remeber what I have...

It's got 2 sensors so the pump doesn't run dry....Not a bad setup...less than $100

For one of mine I bought the Single+ from www.topdose.net (don't let the site thru you off, he's a fellow reef enthuist that does this on the side.) The Single+ model I liked for a couple of reasons;
1. Not overly expensive at $69.99 compared to features of other ones
2. Comes fully assembled (not a kit)
3. Had both a top off and a low water connection for the resivoir
4. It has an adjustable timer that can be disabled for the top off (so in case a float switch gets stuck, flooding is minimized.)

Found him to have excellant customer service; I goofed on the instructions as I didn't know it had sensed if there was a switch installed, so when I tested it I thought it was broken. He took it back (offered to pay shipping), looked at it, sent it back within a day or so with an extra switch for my troubles, and it was my fault all along. He does group buys as well with a heads up.

-Mike

For one of mine I bought the Single+ from www.topdose.net (don't let the site thru you off, he's a fellow reef enthuist that does this on the side.) The Single+ model I liked for a couple of reasons;
4. It has an adjustable timer that can be disabled for the top off (so in case a float switch gets stuck, flooding is minimized.)

Found him to have excellant customer service; I goofed on the instructions as I didn't know it had sensed if there was a switch installed, so when I tested it I thought it was broken. He took it back (offered to pay shipping), looked at it, sent it back within a day or so with an extra switch for my troubles, and it was my fault all along. He does group buys as well with a heads up.

-Mike
i use this one also. i like it alot. simple setup

I had a custom unit made by TopDose. He charged 115 for the unit and 5 floats. Future orders for the same design would be about 85, he had to do some custom art for the circuit board on the first one. I have been happy with it. It is set up with a feed through for the return pump power so it can shut down the pump if the sump is too low, or the refugium or display returns fail to keep up with the pump. It also has an emergency high sump cut off and a fail safe timer to keep the fill cycle from exceeding a specific length of time.

-Mike

This is what I want. How do you install the float switch? Thanks

This is what I want. How do you install the float switch? Thanks

I had been using an old suction cup mount I had from an old heater, however it's not working too well keeping it fixed to the glass. For my other top off switch on the other tank, it came mounted to a piece of plastic used for hanging drop ceilings I think. It was cut into an "L" shape for side mounting; works well in a plastic sump drilled, but not on something glass. I may use a piece of PVC pipe that I saw someone else use somewhere else, just trying to find the link.

-Mike

Back