how to get rid of little red bugs

ffsteve

The tool man
simple, whats the best way to get rid of little red bugs.

what eats them?
what kills them?
and is it safe to use with fish and coral???

thanks steve

this is a long subject
do a search for "red bugs" and have a few hours set aside to read.

You were not very specific, but assuming you mean the "Red Bugs" often found on SPS corals, these threads may be of help. They are from a while back, but should still be useful...

Thread #1

Thread #2

Last edited:
what eats them?
Nothing

what kills them?
Nothing

and is it safe to use with fish and coral???
Interceptor is the most common treatment. It's a dog worming medicine available by prescription only. Your vet may help you out. Some do some don't. Mine didn't so I took my business elsewhere! :D
Safe for corals and fish. Will most likely kill all of your crabs, shrimp, and other inverts. Snails seem to do ok.

Read up on the subject alot before treating. We've all been there at one time or another.

a dragon face pipe fish will eat them, but I don't recommend going out and getting one

http://www.liveaquaria.com/PIC/article.cfm?aid=31

Tried that. Didn't work well enough to eradicate and then the pair died in less than 60 days anyway. :(

If you follow the directions exactly and stick to the Interceptor three treatment method it will eradicate them. I haven't seen an RB in two years and my SPS tank took off after the treatment.

YMMV

they are not red bugs they almost look like shrimp

i could pull some out with tweezers, they are about 1/8 to 1/4 long gray with darker ends, and they also have some type of tennicles on thier tail.

does anyone have an idea what they are???

thanks steve

Redbugs are smaller then a pin head and have a yellow body with a red head. Be helpful if you could post a picture. Do a search for flatworms.

Last edited:
Back