I need to find a silent return pump.

Reefless me

Knucklehead
I'm setting a new tank after a couple of years. I decided on a 40g breeder. My 90g w/base and canopy was just too monstrous for my apt.

So an exteral return pump isn't an option due to space restrictions, and the fact that my sump has adequately large enough compartment for a submersible return pump. Not having the option to have the tank in another room, or do a remote sump,the tank will end up being in the living room. The buzz of a magadrive model 5 or 7 won't do at all.

I was using an old Rainbow Lifeguard Quiet One external on my 90g, and it was truly silent. I need some feedback from the forum to help me find a silent submersible return pump that dlivers 500-600gph.

Any suggestions? :confused:

Last edited:
Octopus 2000 if you are trying to save money or Eheim 1260

Eheim will long outlast the Octopus but is triple the cost

Make sure to use the rubber suction cups on the bottom and flexible plumbing to avoid any vibration.

I've always had great luck with MAG pumps. I have a MAG 9.5 on my 150 as a return, and it is silent. My previous tank had a MAG for years without any issues. Seem bullet proof to me, and as I said, very quiet.

Pat

I have gone through numerous mags and others but am still on just one Eheim.That quite one ...... is quite (gone through a few of those as well) until you try something that is dead silent,long lived and dependable.....you dont know what your missing.

Eheim 1260 is the best bet . Quiet and will last for years. If the quiet one was the old school one, it was not meant for salt water . It would eventually get leaky seals and burn out . It was truly a quiet pump and had great flow .
I will using my Eheim 1260 again and it has been on 4 tanks so far .

I had a Mag 9.5, and never had a problem with it, my eheim was noisy and I gave it away. I might have had a bad one, but either way you can't go wrong.

I run an Octopus Water Blaster HY3000 on a 57 rimless. Extremely quiet, very light energy cost and enough flow to run both calcium and carbon reactors.

Back