IceCap 660 problems

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I need to vent right now.

So I got an IceCap 660 Ballast a few weeks ago to overdrive me T5 bulbs. I wired everything up and everything was working just fine. It was time to update some of my bulbs so I ordered a few UVL 12k bulbs and bought 2 new ATI aquablue specials from a local LFS.

Everything was working fine for about a week. Tank looked great, loved the color and seemed to be getting a lot more output from the icecap ballast.

So last night everything was working fine as usual, lights turned off according to my timers and called it a night. Today I get home to find out the 4 bulbs wired up to my icecap ballast weren't on, hmm.

Checked the bulbs turned on the ballast manually and the lights flicker. So it means one of a few things, bad bulbs or bad wiring, so i switch the bulbs that flashed to the other 2 sockets that didn't and vice versa and it showed that the other 2 bulbs are fine as well. So checked all my wiring and there were no loose connections, and I even switched the endcaps. I know its not a bad ballast because there would be no flicker to any of the bulbs.

Anyone else have suggestions?

recheck your connections and plugs

I just ran am ohm meter on the pins in the harness. According to that it seems like there is a loose connection somewhere since one set of the connectors isn't showing a readout whereas the others are showing a reading around 5 ohms.

I will retrace the wires once again and rewire those pins. I guess if that doesn't work the ballast itself might need to be serviced.

I just ran ran the wired from the connectors that werent getting an ohm readout and again I have no readout on the ohm meter. I don't get why this is happening.

Well looks like bad icecap ballast #2 for me. I now have no lighting in my tank.

Might call it reefing quits after today. Might not have a choice with no lighting.

What I am worried about are my higher light corals like my SPS and my clams. I dug up 2 older t5 ballasts to run 4x39 for a temp fix but I dunno how long my SPS and clam will stay healthy under that light until I can get a replacement ballast.

Back